Dualboot: Vista x86 and x64

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc_boy

Daemon Poster
I want to try out Vista x64 because HP has all the 64bit drivers but I want to know if I can keep the x86 version installed and just dual boot between the 32 and 64 bit operating systems (you know, in case something gets screwed up). I want to know if it is possible and how it's done. Thanks.

It is possible. Insert the Vista 64 Bit DVD and install. Make sure you have a open parition for it. Simple as that.

Why do you want to do this?

Just use one or the other. If you're going to dual boot anything then dual boot XP and Vista or Linux and Vista....

Ok, and when I turn my laptop on it will ask

Which Operating System would you like to boot from:

Windows Vista
or
Windows Vista

...something like that?

I assume you would need a different license for the 64bit version. I don't think the 32bit license would work on the 64

It may, but you can change the OS labels with bcdedit programs.....you also realize you'll have to resize your hard drive into 2 partitions...1 for each OS.

What do you have to gain by going 64 bit?

Why do you want to do this?

Just use one or the other. If you're going to dual boot anything then dual boot XP and Vista or Linux and Vista....

I want to try see if the 64-bit works fine. If it does, i'll keep it. If it fecks up my computer, i want to have something to revert back to. Simple as that.

Why wouldn't it work fine? :confused: Also there's absolutely no reason to change over unless you need to run 4gb+ of memory....and since you have a laptop, that might not even be possible (or necessary).

Ok, and when I turn my laptop on it will ask

Which Operating System would you like to boot from:

Windows Vista
or
Windows Vista

...something like that?
Yes but then you can go to

NeoSmart Technologies

and get EasyBCD and change your names to reflect the different OS's.

I assume you would need a different license for the 64bit version. I don't think the 32bit license would work on the 64
Actually no. The 32Bit and 64Bit License are the same. But the thing is that OEM allows for only 1 activation which it has already used. Trying to use the same erials for OEM witha 64 BIt install will not pass validation since it was previously used as a 32 Bit install. So technically he will ahve to buy a 64 Bit Vista to do what he wants.

Also there are more benefits other than jsut 4GB of RAM. 64 Bit is a fast and secure OS. It is because of 2 reasons why it isnt main stream.

1.) Drivers
2.) Applications and games have to be coded for it.

You will see that drivers are the biggest issue. Then games and applicaitons have to be coded for it. Some can work on either just fine. While you will see different versions for each OS.

Actually no. The 32Bit and 64Bit License are the same. But the thing is that OEM allows for only 1 activation which it has already used. Trying to use the same erials for OEM witha 64 BIt install will not pass validation since it was previously used as a 32 Bit install. \

This is confusing... So if I ever need to reformat, I can't use the same key?
The notebook came with a partition called "recovery", that is supposed to return it to factory condition. What is that? Doesn't it reinstall the OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom