dual os / new hd

Status
Not open for further replies.

k900r

Beta member
Hi all. My first time here but I've spent some time reviewing past posts. From reading those posts I am fairly certain that Im going to buy a new additional 80Gb hard drive and plan to install XP on it.

I should say that I've currently got a 40Gb HD with 98SE and associated programs. I think I've got it right that I can add the new HD as a primary master, install XP as a clean install and then dual boot and have a choice of either OS. Is this right?

I intend to leave the 40Gb HD with all my old stuff on so I don't lose it, can play older games under 98 etc ,keep my Office and other programs on it. I understand that anything I also want to run under XP I will have to reinstall.

If I am right on all this then can you help me on one more thing?
Do I format the new drive (XP) as NTFS or FAT32? I think from the previous posts that NTFS can read from FAT32 but not vice versa, what are the pros and cons of either way?

Hi there,

You will get tired of having 2 operating systems I can guaranty that, and you'll have to do the job again anyway... but.

OK, here we go:
-Win98 Can't read anything on a NTFS partition (unless you had some add-on softwares but there crappy you don't won't to do that)

-You format a partition in Fat or NTFS not the hole HD, unless you only make a 80Gig partition on your new hardrive.

If you absolutely want to dual boot, I suggest you install xp on your 40gig but a different partition than the one with 98. OR you can buy caddies drive and just switch hard drives when you need them.
Other than that, I suggest you backup your old savedgame or data or music, fresh install xp and all the apps on your 40gig and put all your data on the 80gig. That way if windows crashes, you can format your 40gig and not loose your 80gig data.

Hope that help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom