Dual Monitor issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

__Camouflage__

Daemon Poster
I'm trying to setup my laptop to where I can use my 52" T.V as a 'monitor', mainly for movies. I bought a VGA to S-Video adapter. My on board graphics is the S3 UniChrome PRO IGP. I have a VGA output on my laptop. I've tried hooking it up, but I still get no video. I've tried setting the display settings, to use a separate monitor, and everytime I have tried saving/applying the settings, every time I do that, it goes back to the default setting, so I have to keep reapplying those settings. Any ideas?

Are you trying to use the TV as the main monitor? If so that wont ever happen. The reason being that a Laptop wont save those settings cause it never knows when it will have to use it's LCD as the main monitor again. So by default it will always use the LCD as it main. That way if you ever forgot to turn that display back to the main, it wouldnt work. See what i am trying to say?

Now if you are jsut trying to use it as a secondary display you imght have to get some better drivers if there are any available. I know ATi and nVidia both have these setting in their control panel. I jsut dont know is UniChrome does.

Are you trying to use the TV as the main monitor? If so that wont ever happen. The reason being that a Laptop wont save those settings cause it never knows when it will have to use it's LCD as the main monitor again. So by default it will always use the LCD as it main. That way if you ever forgot to turn that display back to the main, it wouldnt work. See what i am trying to say?

Now if you are jsut trying to use it as a secondary display you imght have to get some better drivers if there are any available. I know ATi and nVidia both have these setting in their control panel. I jsut dont know is UniChrome does.

No, I'm trying to use it as a secondary monitor. S3 has a control panel, but it is VERY limited. I finally got it to 'save' the settings for me to have a secondary monitor, but still nothing. Whenever I hit 'Identify' the t.v. screen will go black (coming from blue), and 'flickers', but that's all.

To me it sounds like a limit of their drivers more than anything else. Have you tried to find any more drivers?

I looked, but I can only find those on VIA Arena. I'm going to try a different driver though. I can get it to come in, for a few seconds, but that's IF my display settings decide to let me use a dual monitor setup... I can't get it to come good at all though, it's just jumpy, but I can see some of the Window that is on that 'desktop', not the best at all, looks like a VCR when it's out of tracking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom