Dual Monitor issue? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 08:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Dual Monitor issue?

I'm trying to setup my laptop to where I can use my 52" T.V as a 'monitor', mainly for movies. I bought a VGA to S-Video adapter. My on board graphics is the S3 UniChrome PRO IGP. I have a VGA output on my laptop. I've tried hooking it up, but I still get no video. I've tried setting the display settings, to use a separate monitor, and everytime I have tried saving/applying the settings, every time I do that, it goes back to the default setting, so I have to keep reapplying those settings. Any ideas?

Old 11-06-2007, 08:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: Dual Monitor issue?

Are you trying to use the TV as the main monitor? If so that wont ever happen. The reason being that a Laptop wont save those settings cause it never knows when it will have to use it's LCD as the main monitor again. So by default it will always use the LCD as it main. That way if you ever forgot to turn that display back to the main, it wouldnt work. See what i am trying to say?

Now if you are jsut trying to use it as a secondary display you imght have to get some better drivers if there are any available. I know ATi and nVidia both have these setting in their control panel. I jsut dont know is UniChrome does.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 11-06-2007, 08:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli213 View Post
Are you trying to use the TV as the main monitor? If so that wont ever happen. The reason being that a Laptop wont save those settings cause it never knows when it will have to use it's LCD as the main monitor again. So by default it will always use the LCD as it main. That way if you ever forgot to turn that display back to the main, it wouldnt work. See what i am trying to say?

Now if you are jsut trying to use it as a secondary display you imght have to get some better drivers if there are any available. I know ATi and nVidia both have these setting in their control panel. I jsut dont know is UniChrome does.
No, I'm trying to use it as a secondary monitor. S3 has a control panel, but it is VERY limited. I finally got it to 'save' the settings for me to have a secondary monitor, but still nothing. Whenever I hit 'Identify' the t.v. screen will go black (coming from blue), and 'flickers', but that's all.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

To me it sounds like a limit of their drivers more than anything else. Have you tried to find any more drivers?

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 11-06-2007, 10:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I looked, but I can only find those on VIA Arena. I'm going to try a different driver though. I can get it to come in, for a few seconds, but that's IF my display settings decide to let me use a dual monitor setup... I can't get it to come good at all though, it's just jumpy, but I can see some of the Window that is on that 'desktop', not the best at all, looks like a VCR when it's out of tracking.
Closed Thread