Dual booting XP and Ubuntu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TekBubs

In Runtime
The main point of this topic: Is it safe?

I have a 300 GB hard drice (15GB is already partitioned into what I think is the vista recovery partition, I removed vista and put XP on my computer So I dont know) and right now I have 280gb of free space...How much space should I partition, I mainly wanna use ubuntu to test it out and use it as a back up in case my XP crashes somehow

Totally safe. Partition the amout of space you want to use with GPart or whatever you want, then use the Linux Live CD to install the OS. You won't need a whole lot of room, I usually partition around 7 GB of space for Ubuntu and 2 GB for the swap file (acts like the paging file).

Ah thnx for the reply, but I forget to ask, can you burn ubuntu legally from websites like mininova? I dont see why not, its free right?

Ah...also I dont have the "new partition" command whenever I right click my C:\ drive :l, in the disk management section that is.

Just go to linux's website. Here is the link:

Get Ubuntu - Download, request a CD, or buy on CD/DVD | Ubuntu

I thought you already had an extra partition. First and foremost backup all data just incase the repartitioning goes bad. Then use something like GPart program to partition your hard drive. This program will allow you to move data and create partitions from empty space.

In order to have Ubuntu CD and GPart CD work propertly you'll have to properly burn the downloaded .ISO files to CD. I use infra recorder.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

One thing to know ahead of time about the ubuntu installer is that the default guided partitioning options will want to reserve the entire hard drive for ubuntu. When reaching that point tick the manual option seen at the bottom of the screen and then select the main root for the "/" mount point.

The ubuntu installer will later after all files are copied onto the drive ask where you want the Grub boot loader installed. Simply selecting the drive not the ubuntu primary will replace the XP mbr entries making Grub and ubuntu the default OS.

The version of GParted included with the live cd is mainly for using the guided installation method and not flexible for custom installs like dual booting or seeing a separare swap partition added in there as shown in the article.

With ubuntu and other small distros the need for any swap partition is optional not mandatory while the larger server Red Hat type distros like Fedora, Mandriva, etc. will see the need. The manual option not guided allows you to install without the swap and as seen in the screenshots there XP is made the secondary OS when Grub takes over.

eyecpc sorry but no, the Gparted version that ships with ubuntu can take up the whole drive but you have the option right there to select the partition layout such as 50/50 split etc.

Also swap space is totally optional on all linux distributions, some would rather you have it for performance but it is far from critical. Also don't bring up topics that are not part of the original question you seem to do this when you are reaching the limits of your technical ability and that happens quite often.

To OP:
In the guide, Page 3 shows you how to resize your existing partition into 2 partitions. Simple click and drag GUI; very easy to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom