Dual booting XP home and 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 200G HDD in 3 parts C = 15G D = 35G and E= 130 (format took 20G or so and all NTFS) i install on D OS XP first used it for a few weeks than heard about Server 2003 Installed it on C: and all NTFS it works fine put the line automaticly and i have no problem with it nada dunno maybe something i can't see ? but i don't see any "Visual Bug"

ah, I stand corrected... its 2000 with NT4.0 that had the problem and you had to get an updated ntfs.sys file for it to work because of the differences in the 2 versions didn't jibe together. heh, oops... sometimes my memory just aint what it used to be, but I did check it again. Here is the source... there maybe issues between XP and 2000, but I doubt it, they should both use the same version of new tech file system.
Windows 2000 includes several new features for the NT file system (NTFS) such as disk quotas, encryption, and mount points. These features require changes to the NTFS format. If you are installing Windows 2000 to dual- boot with Windows NT 4.0 on a volume using NTFS, you may not be able to boot Windows NT 4.0.
MORE INFORMATION
The version of NTFS included with Windows 2000 cannot be interpreted correctly by Windows NT 4.0. However, there is an updated Ntfs.sys driver in Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 4 that enables Windows NT 4.0 to read from and write to NTFS volumes in Windows 2000.

When you install Windows 2000, any mounted NTFS volumes are automatically converted to the version of NTFS included with Windows 2000. If you plan to dual-boot Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 for evaluation purposes, you must first install Service Pack 4 or later on Windows NT 4.0.

This NTFS update enables Windows NT 4.0 to mount, read from, and write to NTFS volumes created in Windows 2000. However, the new features in the version of NTFS included with Windows 2000 are disabled when you boot Windows NT 4.0. Dual-booting between Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 is not recommended as a long-term solution. The NTFS update for Windows NT 4.0 is provided only to assist you in evaluating and upgrading to Windows 2000.

Thats cool something to know but i doubt i will be installing NT 4.0 ever, never even seen that windows not kidding man never installed or seen that windows

yeah buttom line JM install the OSes on NTFS :)

He has XP installed already :)

Thats why he has to go to msconfig to detect boots after he is done otherwise he wouldn't have to do msconfig stuff ;) but ofcourse if you will be reinstalling XP put 2000 first and XP after than you won't have to play around with MSconfig

ohh and yeah if you would like if you will contact me on MSN
eddiek@012.net.il i can help you on remote assistance with the MSconfig if you won't figure it out or just talk to you my ICQ aswell is 203326098

heh, I have some systems running 2000 pro, 2000 server, nt4.0 and linux. can be a nightmare remembering what is compatible with what and the versions to use.

well, there maybe a few things you'll have to do... one thing I've seen is that XP and 2000 share many same core files, and if you install 2000.... oh wait, you're doing this on a seperate drive, not partition... NEVERMIND! heh

Haha lol I'll tell you man the best OS ever is Server 2003 i don't have any crashes with it and it runs faster in the windows itself i mean opening files and transferring files 1/3 times faster than XP does it XP is good aswell but 2003 more compatable with stuff and all drivers under XP go to it JUST FINE only thing that i got ONE program so far that won't work on this windows and it is my ABIT EQ that checks voltage and heat in windows i Emailed abit and those bastards aren't going to support Server 2003 yet but ohh well i don't need the program much anyway

I've heard server 2003 is NICE. It also uses IPv6, which I'm not so sure about, mixing hex and decimal IP's (contains your mac address... ugh). I need to look at updating my cert to be server2003 MCSE. Heard the test is HARD, though. Guess better start cracking on the book.

hehe you can get the 180 Days version from MS i don't have the address at moment don't remember it but thats the best way to get it and fastest unless you on dial up install it as second Boot or on other PC and check it out no better learning than using "The Live Thing" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom