Dual booting and windows 8

maddangerous

In Runtime
I've heard some things about windows 8 HATING dual booting with anything, and that after dual booting people could not boot windows at all.

Has anyone heard/ran into these issues?

I don't plan on migrating (ever) but it is more of a curiosity thing

Yes and no.

Yes if you purchase a new PC with Windows 8 that has the new secure boot and UEFI. Then it is a pain to get the dual boot working.

No if you install Windows 8 on an older machine without UEFI. Then it acts and operates like you would expect. Just cant use the pretty GUI loader for all OS's.

GRUB would work on an older machine. There is still issues with GRUB and UEFI or secure boot systems. Even though they have made strides in trying to get it to work, some systems are bricked cause of UEFI and trying to install Linux. There is a news article out there about Samsung PC's coming with Windows 8 that are bricked and have to be sent back to Samsung cause no matter what Linux will not install properly.

Not a problem. Granted some of the info could be wrong at this point. I don't have UEFI or secure boot on my system. It is self built and older. So I don't have those worries. I can manipulate the Windows bootloader or GRUB to do what I want either way. For Windows I just use EasyBCD. I don't have the fancy bootloader, but I don't care really. ;)

Look at that. Just checking the news and found this:

http://www.neowin.net/news/linux-fo...&utm_campaign=Feed:+neowin-main+(Neowin+News)

Last edited:
If an operating system works with the Windows 7 boot process, it will work equally fine with the Windows 8 boot process so long as Secure Boot and UEFI are not involved. To best achieve a dual boot system, simply install Windows 8 last to allow the installer to find the boot files for previous operating systems and add them to the graphical interface for Windows 8 boot. For some operating systems where you have previously had to edit the BCD in order to add them, you will have to perform the same tasks on Windows 8, but if it worked with Windows 7 it will work with Windows 8.

If you are just getting started with Windows 8, you might also want to check out the Windows 8 Jump Start which gives a great technical overview for IT professionals.

Brandon
Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro
The Springboard Series on TechNet

So you said everything I just did but you had to get your links in there.

If it works with Win7 then it will work with Win8, only if Secure Boot and UEFI is not involved. But you fail to mention that Microsoft enforces Secure Boot and UEFI on ALL machines now.

Which is a direct reflection of my first statement. New systems hate dual booting, old systems do not.

So really you only state what I do but give links for what possible reason other than to promote the Outreach Program?

would this secure boot affect a second hard drive if someone decided to put another operating system on that which would have a separate boot loader on it's own drive?

From my understanding yes it would still be affected by it. You are still dual booting, and the OS still has to be validated by the security checks and such.

Back
Top Bottom