dual booting with vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

m6qrp

In Runtime
hey im tryin to help my friend out. he just got a new acer laptop with vista home premium and i was wondering if i could install windows xp over the existing vista installation on another drive partition? and would it cause any problems.

thanks

You would need partition Magic to create a partition for XP. Then you would have to boot from the XP CD to isntall it. From there you will have to get EasyBCD so that you can add the Vista bootloader again. In EasyBCD you would have to add the option to boot into XP. If not you will only have the option to boot from XP after the install. Or Vista after adding the Vista Bootloader with EasyBCD.

thanks for the reply

but from the instructions to get it to work, i need the vista disk to repair vista after installing xp. the problem is that the laptop only came with a restore cd. got any ideas?

thanks

No you wont need the Vista disc. You will need EasyBCD to restore the Vista Bootloader. Easy BCD has the option to restore it easily with just 1 click. The Vista disc is not necessary.

Will this process work with Windows 2000 also? I have only Windows Vista Premium installed right now, and I will probably want to install Win2K to another partition. Will dual-booting be a problem with two different partitions (but the same physical drive)? Also, will programs I installed on Vista also work on 2000 or will I need to reinstall them to add the registry entries? Sorry, I'm a n00b at dual-booting.

The stragety could work with Windows 2000 as well. But you will have to go about a different method. EasyBCD doesnt work in 2000. So you will have to manually go into your boot.ini files and copy down that info.

From there you will have to go into the BCD edit menu and add the 2000 info to it. That way the Vista oot menu will be able to boot into 2000. But first you will have to bring back up the BCD with your Vista disc. Since EasyBCD cant work in 2000 you will need the disc in order to restore the BCD to be able to edit it and add 2000.

As far as the applicaitons go...it is hit or miss. Some applicaiotns might work, if they are even Windows 2000 compatable. Most are only XP/Vista compatable now. So they might not even work in 2000. While others will require the Registry entries. Other wont need any muss at all and will just load up. The only thing i can say is to try each application and see which one works.

From there you will have to go into the BCD edit menu and add the 2000 info to it. That way the Vista oot menu will be able to boot into 2000. But first you will have to bring back up the BCD with your Vista disc. Since EasyBCD cant work in 2000 you will need the disc in order to restore the BCD to be able to edit it and add 2000.

Just to make sure, once I install Windows 2000, 2000 will become the default OS loaded, right? And then to get back into Vista, I'd just pop in my Vista installation disc? What would I have to do once that is loaded--hit repair? If that doesn't work, would there be another way to get back into Vista?

Also, does installing on different partitions mean that I can delete the 2000 partition (if I wanted to get rid of it completely)? Would that get rid of the entire Win2K installation? And would the Vista partition then automatically boot up?

Just want to get the logistics down before I actually do it and find out something went wrong.

okay here we go.,

After you install 2000 that will become the main OS and the boot OS. To get the BCD back insert your Vista DVD and there will be a repair option. Choose that and in there you will find the Boot Repair option in there. Just use that to repair the Vista boot menu and get Vista back.

Once you do that you will lose your 2000 install and have to use the Vista BCD edit menu to add the 2000 isntall to the Vista boot loader.

To answer your 2nd question...if you wanted to get rid of 2000 completely you could without affecting your Vista partition. With the BCD being your primary boot laoder Vista is automatically the default. You would ahve to choose 200 in order to boot to it after adding it. So deleting the 2000 partition wont affect the bgoot loader unless you tried to boot to 2000. But you can remove it from the boot laoder so you wouldnt have the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom