Dual Booting Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Free partitioning tool = GParted. It's an excellent, GNU based application that can boot from CD and can resize/delete/create FAT32, NTFS, ext2fs, ext3fx, swap, and more partition types. I use the System Rescue CD, which has GParted (well, the version I have uses QTParted, but it's the same thing) and boots from CD.

You are going to need a program such as paragon partition magic to partition a HD with info on it already otherwise you will delete the info currently on the disc. You can actually install the vista upgrade without having xp on the disc, you just do not put in your key code on the first install then boot into vista and run the upgrade disc from within vista and this time enter your key code. If you have a readily available XP disc I would take that route but if not then you always have the option I outlined above. Good Luck.

I've been telling people this, but nobody listened to me

I've been telling people this, but nobody listened to me
But the problem with this type of install is that you end up actually installing Vista twice. Why take that much time to do it? It would be easier to just install PX then upgrade. Less muss less fuss. Well maybe not. Since you have to isntall XP first then upgrade so you basically have to install a OS twice anyways.

I have found the article.

Vista upgrade workaround revealed | CNET News.com

As it states...
Microsoft confirmed that the workaround would be successful, but cautioned that anyone using it would violate their license terms.

So that kinda defeats the purpose of having a legit version of Vista if you violate the license terms. But just a thought.

But the problem with this type of install is that you end up actually installing Vista twice. Why take that much time to do it? It would be easier to just install PX then upgrade. Less muss less fuss. Well maybe not. Since you have to isntall XP first then upgrade so you basically have to install a OS twice anyways.

I have found the article.

Vista upgrade workaround revealed | CNET News.com

As it states...

So that kinda defeats the purpose of having a legit version of Vista if you violate the license terms. But just a thought.

Yes but it is impossible to tell if someone did this and in this guys case where he wants to keep XP it is a viable option. I got vista free through my college and first installed on my lappy and did not like but later tried it again on my desktop and after a few days it said my key was illegitimate. I called microsoft and explained and they issued me a new key so fast it was not even funny. That really has nothing to do with this thread but I just thought it was ridiculous how scrupulous they where trying to be and after one minute on the phone with tech support they re issued me a key. Now what if my copy had been illegitimate.

Thank everyone for the input & suggestions
I haven't found extra HD so
I'm going to have to partition the drive thats in there I'm going to try an51r method I figure if that doesn't take I can try the 2xXP approach is there any tricks on how to partition with out messing up my XP install?
I have never tryed it with a OS already there.
Thanks for all the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom