Dual Booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtfuzz

Beta member
Ok this is my question. I have Windows xp and unbuntu setup as a dual boot on my pc. I'm also running a dual monitor system AMD Quad core. What I want to do is run windows and Linux at the same time. Now I've had a friend of mine tell me to use VMWARE which I do currently. But I'm wondering if I can do something different besides using a virtual computer app to do this task.

I dont believe so. You can only "boot" to 1 OS at a time. What the VMWARE does is basically simulate a 2nd computer which is why you are able to boot up the 2nd OS.

You can only run one OS natively at a time. Any other OS'es must be run in VM's, which, in my opinion, aren't worth using. I say just run one OS and when you need the other, reboot. VM's are a hard hit on the host OS because emulating a PC takes a lot of resources, but the emulated OS inside the VM doesn't run well because it's inside of an emulated environment. It's a lose-lose situation. Just dual boot normally, reboot when you want to use other OS. I have a quad boot setup (Vista, XP, OSX, Ubuntu) and rebooting to change OS'es isn't a big deal.

As already stated. You can only do this via VM. there is no way to simotainously boot 2 OS's at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom