dual boot xp and vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.
you can create another profile in xp under system profiles. OK you want to run two separate os one two separate drives and have the ability to choose which one to boot up. or you want the boot file of xp to be on the vista and vice versa. or you just want to run two operating systems independent of each other and have a choice. Sounds like your problem could possibly be resolved if you purchased system commander somewhat cheap in the greater schems of things offers all the benifits of loading everything from solaris,red hat to windowsxp,vista and linix, I get back with an even more practical solution later.freak::freak:

Okay first off why would he create a 2nd profile in XP? He doesnt want that.

2nd you cant run 2 OS's at once. Not from boot. You can how ever use 1 OS as a host OS and boot into a 2nd OS using Virtual Machine software like VMWare or Virtual Box.

He wants to have both OS's installed independently. Which i have already given the solution for.

Plus to purchase software when you can get EasyBCD for FREE, which will boot into Windows (All Versions), OS X and All but PC-BSD for Linux using either LiLo, GRUB or the FreeBSD loader. The only boot loader it doesnt work with at this time is the BTX Loader for PC-BSD. So buying a solution when there is a FREE alternative out there is just silly.

It's all quite simple really, you currently have XP installed and you want to add vista as a second OS that you can easily choose which one on boot.

1. decide whether you want to use a single drive or two separate drives.

2. once you decide then this will make your next move most important, if you are going to use the same drive and there are no other partitions on it or the other partition is quite large and hosts your back up files then you will need to create a partition using Gparted to create a partition without disturbing your current files.

3. If you are using 2 separate hard drives then you are ready to go (be sure to configure your drives in your BIOS for the boot order you need.. eg, drive 0 would be XP and drive 1 would be for vista.
once you have that, then also be sure all your hardware is Vista compliant, meaning that your hardware supports Vista. now you're ready to pop in your Vista dvd and install.

Note: be sure to back up all your important files before installing a new OS just incase Murphy's law intervenes ;)

Yes thank you for confirming what i already posted.
And thank you for confirming what I already posted :p

Plus to purchase software when you can get EasyBCD for FREE, which will boot into Windows (All Versions), OS X and All but PC-BSD for Linux using either LiLo, GRUB or the FreeBSD loader. The only boot loader it doesnt work with at this time is the BTX Loader for PC-BSD. So buying a solution when there is a FREE alternative out there is just silly.

Sorry Mak my boy, just had to :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom