Dual boot Windows/Linux - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 11:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Him
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Him Send a message via Yahoo to Him
Default Dual boot Windows/Linux

Currently, I am running Windows XP Pro on my laptop, and I am in the process of downloading Slackware 10.1 and I would like to, at least for the time being, use them in conjunction on the laptop. You know, dual boot.

I'm new to Linux, very new, and I need my laptop, which is why I want them both for right now. Otherwise, I would wipe my laptop and throw on Linux. But as of right now I cant afford to be without my laptop while I am learning a new OS.

A free dual boot program would be great, or a way to set them up in a dual boot config.

Thanks!

Old 06-17-2005, 12:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Well firstly Linux will need it's own partitions to be installed. You can use unpartitioned space or sort it out with PartitionMagic or something. Then you can install Linux alongside Windows, and Linux will install a bootloader, probably LILO or Grub, for you, and it will auto-detect Windows. When you start the computer you will get a menu of which OS to start.

\'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you **** well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.\'

Old 06-17-2005, 12:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I recommend you do not use lilo or grub so deselect the option when promted. The thing is lilo and grub is known to sometime not add windows partitions so use the defualt one microsoft gives you.
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 06-17-2005, 01:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

The one Microsoft gives you does not detect Linux. If LILO or Grub does not detect Windows then all you simply have to do is boot from the XP CD, go to the recovery console and type "fixmbr". This will reload the Windows default bootloader into the MBR.

\'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you **** well please.

Old 06-17-2005, 04:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

And you would honestly do all of this? I find that too much work for daily use.
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 06-17-2005, 04:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

It's not a lot of work really. Usually it will all be sorted out when you install Linux. If not then it's not a big problem.

Old 06-17-2005, 08:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to Slayer

back up ur stuff first

Radeon 9800 XT 256mb
40 & 60 gig wd hd\'s
Audigy 2 ZS THX
Logitech 5.1 280watts rms sound THX
Closed Thread