Dual Boot Windows 7 and 8 issues

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hey guys,

I tried to install both Windows 7 and Windows 8 according to some instructions I received here earlier and can't seem to get it to work. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Here is what I did:

Installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, did all the updates, etc. and used it for 3 weeks.

Decided to install Windows 8 Professional 64-bit tonight for a dual boot.

Here is how I proceeded:

I unplugged my Windows 7 SSD [power and data cable].

I plugged in a new and separate SSD for Windows 8.

Did the Gparted on the new SSD.

Installed Windows 8 Pro on the new SSD. Did all the updates, then everything worked fine.

Next, I plugged in my Windows 7 SSD, so BOTH SSD's are not plugged in.

When I switch the BIOS to the Windows 7 SSD, all is good...Windows 7 works fine.

When I switch the BIOS to the Windows 8 SSD, I only see a black screen with a blinking white dash...nothing else.

Gosh, what did I do wrong here? What should I do differently?

Thanks,

Soar

Gosh, can anyone here help me resolve this issue please?

Is it even possible to dual boot using two separate SDD's [Win 7 on one SSD, Win 8 on the other SSD]?

I did notice in Administration tools, Computer Management, Storage, Disk Management this interesting fact:

Windows 7 SSD says this: SYSTEM, BOOT, PAGE FILE, ETC.
Windows 8 SSD says this: HEALTHY, PRIMARY PARTITION

I am wondering if the problem is there.

Thanks,

Soar

Last edited:
There are two different ways to dual boot:
[FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT]Physical switching with two separate storage devices where each device contains its own boot files and can be operated entirely separate from the other.
[FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT]Boot loader switching, where the boot files are aware of both operating systems and you are prompted to choose between them at each boot of the computer.

From what you have described, you attempted to perform the first configuration. Theoretically whichever device is selected first in BIOS should boot the operating system found on it as the boot loaders are entirely separate. I can think of two possible reasons why you might be experiencing the error you are receiving. The first thought is that Windows 8 Secure Boot (UEFI) might recognize that there is a second boot loader other than Windows 8 and be preventing boot. You could determine this by removing the Windows 7 device and seeing if Windows 8 is able to boot. If this resolves your issue, you may need to enable legacy BIOS support or its equivalent on your motherboard in order to dual boot using this configuration.

My second thought is that the Boot Configuration Database (BCD) for Windows 8 may have become corrupted. You could repair the BCD using bootrec.exe to rebuild the Windows 8 BCD and restore boot functionality. Running bootrec.exe on the Windows 8 device alone may restore the type 1 configuration from above. The method I would recommend however is to either run bootrec.exe from your Windows 8 media with both SSD attached or to reinstall Windows 8 with your Windows 7 SSD present. Either method will allow the detection of the Windows 7 installation by Windows 8 and add an entry for it to the Windows 8 BCD. When you boot you will be prompted by the Windows 8 boot screen which operating system you want to boot into.

I have a machine configured with Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, and Windows 8 all running off the Windows 8 BCD to test multiboot environments and it works perfectly. I installed in the order I listed them above in order to allow the Windows 8 setup to create the Windows 8 BCD last, as Windows 8 is the only boot process with the new graphic interface for OS selection.

Brandon
Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro
The Springboard Series on TechNet

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom