dual boot with restore option

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillRivera

Beta member
Hello everyone! I was wondering if there are any Ghost experts in the forum that can help me with a little project I was assigned at work. Ok my place at work is trying to save money by creating a restore option for all the computers that are sent to our clients to cut in service and shipping cost. what I would like to do is to have a dual boot system that will give the option to restore or continue with windows xp and some kind of timer with windows xp choice as a default. We have the enterprise edition of ghost but I do not see any options for that kind of thing, but when we get computers from other manufactures this option is available. Does anybody have any ideas ho to do this whit out a boot disk.

Thanks
Will Rivera

I just bought an IBM laptop and it came today, also had the restore option available. I'm guessing it would have to be booted from a Windows 9X environment, replacing the windows boot files with a ghost boot floppy files and have the image sitting on that partition, somethin glike that.

You can make an image of a fresh computer and store it on the network server. Using Norton ghost, you can copy the whole OS and softwares over to the troubled computer. (Saves tons of time)

from my experience with the regular ghost, to do the ghost, you use a virtual partition, which is half the battle. This allows you to restore from an image, and can be automated.

the issue would be making a successful reference to it in Boot.ini, which may be achieved by making the virtual partition permanent, and the "virtual MBR" (that's from what i understand, may not be even how it works) the other component to it.

WillRivera said:
what I would like to do is to have a dual boot system that will give the option to restore or continue with windows xp and some kind of timer with windows xp choice as a default. We have the enterprise edition of ghost but I do not see any options for that kind of thing, but when we get computers from other manufactures this option is available.
Thanks
Will Rivera

Is this the restore you talk about seeing?

Insert Windows XP CD.
Start > Run > X:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons
(replace X: with the appropiate drive letter)
Acknowledge prompt by clicking 'Yes'.
Skip updating process by clicking 'Cancel' or by pressing 'Esc'
After installation, acknowledge success msg. by clicking 'Ok'
Start > Shutdown > Restart
At boot menu, select 'Microsoft Windows Recovery Console'

or maybe this will help you

http://www.techist.com/computer_articles/restore/restore-disk.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom