Dual boot question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

Daemon Poster
Right now I am dual booting XP and Vista Ult. 64bit. I have used XP twice in two years and want to get rid of it. Is there a way that I can keep Vista and install W7 in place of XP and not lose my Vista 64?

Yes this is possible. But make sure that you know which drive is your system active drive and which drive is your boot drive. IF XP is either one of those you will get Insert System Disk Error upon reboot. But it is possible. I walked Trotter through how to do it not long ago as this is what he did.

Now I am going to throw a little complication into the matter. Let's say I want to change the cpu and motherboard to the I7. Would I be able to intall the Windows 7 under the new mobod and then go back into the vista install and fix all the drivers and not have to do a clean install. I have so many programs that would require so many updates that I figure it would take over 24 hours of reinstallations. Is that too complicated for someone on here to solve? I doubt it but I want to challenge some of you.

If you change the mobo Vista will not even boot and require you to reinstall both.

The hardware config will be different than the one currently in use and Vista will not even boot to the desktop.

If you change the mobo and CPU you will be forced to reinstall both Vista and Win7.

There is no repair feature for Vista so you would be forced to reinstall no matter what. It isnt to complicated to resolve cause it isnt possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom