Dual boot problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosco

Solid State Member
Here's my problem that I posted on another forum
I want to install 2 different versions of XP on the same PC, so I can have one for uni, and the other for everything else.
It's been ages since I have set up a dual boot machine and I'm kinda lost to be honest.
I have set up 2 primary partitions, and installed XP on each one, but I want to hide the other OS partition so I cant see it. How do I do this??? Should I install one on a primary partition and the other on a logical partition???
Also, when I installed windows on the D drive, I went to install drivers on that OS (I had allready done this on my C drive), it told me that some files were already on the C drive, and did I want to overwrite them (I cancelled the install), so I think I have done something wrong.
I tried googling for some info, but I can only find info about Dual booting XP with a different OS, not with another version of XP.

Any help greatly appreciated.

But things have changed slightly since then. I deleted both partitions and created a 30 GB C:\ drive to which I installed XP. I now have all my apps installed on this OS, and it is fully configured.
I have 20GB of unallocated space left on my HDD. What type of partition should I make this space and how do I go about setting things up as I want???

Sorry if the post is a bit long winded, and thanx very much for your help.
Rosco

You cannot install an OS on a logical partition.

Rightnow you should load the XP disc and format the unallocated space/ NTFS or FAT32/ NTFS is better for bigger drives.

You will automatically get a boot menu on next startup.

I thought you could install XP to any type of partition???
Like I say, it's been ages since I have done a dual boot setup, so I forget the ins and outs of the whole thing.
So I should just let the XP install format the unallocated space for me during the setup then???
What about hiding the C:\ drive when you boot from the D:\ drive, and vice versa???
Thanx for the quick reply.

No, you don't need to hide the first partition.
If your "C" XP is the first partition and you are going to install another XP on the second partition "D" , everything should work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom