stumanoo

Baseband Member
ive got 98 and xp pro installed but only xp is starting up upon system boot

this is my boot.ini file

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

any idea how i modify this to incorperate 98 also

thanks

Hi,

First a couple of questions.

Which did you install first? Win98 then XP or vice versa?

Did you install onto separate partions or are you using separate drives?

Is the XP install NTFS?

Normally Win98 should be installed first - then XP.

Do a search on google using the keywords "dual boot xp win98" and check all the results - I saw several that may pertain to your situation but without knowing the details I can't be sure. ;)

Hope this helps - post back if not. Or stand by and I'm sure you'll get some advice on this.

Daf

stumanoo said:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Both beedubya and daf are right in saying Win98 should be loaded first whenever creating a dualboot. However, this doesn't seem to be a issue related to which OS was installed first.

Stumanoo, the reason why your dual-boot menu doesn't show the Win98 option is because the path for the Win98 isn't included in the boot.ini file. Look at the line just below [operating systems]
.... you should have anoterh line that reads something similar to:

multi(0)disk(x)rdisk(x)partition(x)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows"

Knowing which partition you installed Win98 is crucial here... you can manually create the line i typed above. where you see the 'X's.. is where it needs to be edited; however, I need to know where win98 is isntalled in order for me to help you further.

Stumanoo,

In case you're still looking for an answer, try this:
At the very bottom of that boot.ini file, after the line that reads "Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect", on the next line type:

C:\="Microsoft Windows"

(provided that your Win98 is installed on the root of drive C:)

EDIT: forgot the quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom