dual boot os = dual other softwares?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Partitioning does not erase your drive; that's formatting. Partitioning just splits the drive up and shouldn't do anything to the data. Easiest to use, IMO, is GParted.

Yeah I have been meaning to move stuff

What should I keep on the C? I thought maybe loading it from another partition would run my hard drive constantly :/

Hmm can anyone give me a quick example? I wanna get on it right away

BTW if I do slice it into partitions, is there a way I can install Windows 7 and keep my Vista install? I wanna use all my system for 7 but don't have a Vista cd to fall back on

Thanks guys! that's why I love it here...

Well, if you need to keep your Vista install I would recomend that stay and every thing els should be moved.. can you clean your second drive? well if not you can partition your drives but do the almost empty drive first.. use a program like"GParted" to make your partitions on your spare.. then once you have your new partitions on your spare.. move all your "Media" files from your "C" drive to the new partitions on "D"..

Then use "GParted" again on your "C" drive which should now be clean other than your OS and installed programs.. Create your "C" drive partitions based on the left over space from Vista.. then Install Win7 on one of your Empty partitions.

The only thing on the D:/ part of my hard drive are 1 1/2 movies so that won't be hard to move over. I'm going to get started right now

Here is what my "My Computer" looks like.. notice that "C" and "F" are my OS drives and are exactly the same size.. they are Partitions both on the "C".. but "C" is actually a 320gb HDD divded into 3 parts C,F and "G".. where "D" is a seperate 500gb drive dedicated to my media and "L" is the back up for all of them.

1eqc1c.jpg

I personally havn't tried it.. but everyone here raves about it and my usual method for partitioning requires formatting the entire drive.. which obviously is not an option for you..

And GParted allows you to partition a drive that already has data on it ;). Used it to partition my laptop's HDD that had Vista on it to install Ubuntu; Vista was untouched.

my work pc hd is parted into system (c:), program (d:) and data (e:), i separated programs from system since i read somewhere in pc magazine that it should keep you from re-installing 3rd party applications everytime you do the os clean install. i haven't got the need to do a clean re-install (hopefully never!), but i wonder if the magazine is correct, that i don't have to re-install other programs (but then what about the registry?)

sorry for all the smileys, it should read c: , d: , and e:

I got it working, I used GParted to partition my hard drive and made a separate one for Windows 7. I can now dual boot, I installed from a flash drive :]

Thanks for all the help guys
Especially you Chase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom