Dual Boot operating systems with Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techy_Heidi

Baseband Member
Hi, I previously made a topic about creating a dual boot operating system, which worked fine with the help of some fine people on this forum.

There is only one thing, I have been asked about renaming the root directory when installing multiple operating systems.

I was told that this should automatically come up when installing a second operating system - but it didn't when I did it.

Is there any other way of renaming the root directory for the operating system before it installs?

Thank you in advance. :)

Not sure why you would need to rename the root directory. I have a dual boot Windows XP/Linux computer and did not have to do that.

I'm supposed to be doing this without the help of additional software really.

And I am doing a dual boot pc with 2 Windows operating systems, my boss wants me to know how to rename the root directory in the event that I have to install 2 operating systems that have the same named root directory.

the renaming thing is just so that one OS isn't installed in the same directory as an existing one, so the previous OS is not overwritten.

If you use Windows, the default directory is "C:\Windows\"
and no Linux distro I know uses the C:\Windows directory to install to.

But what I need to know is, if I need to change it so my previous operating system isn't overwritten, how would it be done?

And I wouldn't be using Linux, my company doesn't deal with that, it is for 2 Windows operating systems...

Techy_Heidi said:
But what I need to know is, if I need to change it so my previous operating system isn't overwritten, how would it be done?
just use different directories for each OS

And I wouldn't be using Linux, my company doesn't deal with that, it is for 2 Windows operating systems...
is it two XP's you're trying to install?

Hmm.. maybe i have not explained this right..

This is all training for my job. First i had to create a dual boot pc, then again using only one partition. They both worked fine.

Now my boss just wants me to find out how to change the root directory if it is every needed. If a client wants a dual boot pc, we won't have all that much control over what they want. So all i need is just a general idea on how to change the root directory if i ever need to. I won't actually be doing it, he just wants me to be able to explain it to him. :confused:

So it could be two versions of XP, or any combination of operating systems really (yes i know about the NTFS / FAT incompatibility for a dual boot pc with one partition, but you get what i mean - i hope).

when you start the installation of any OS, it should give you the option to choose the directory to install in.

to dual boot, you just need to make the installation directories of each OS different.
for example, one Windows installation at C:\Windows, and the other at C:\WinXP

I know it should, but it didnt when i did it before, and i did have to redo the dual boot a couple of times for various reasons, and not once did it ask me to do that. Could that have been because it was Win2k and XP? They have different root directories, so could that have been because it wasn't going to overwrite it?

And if this is not the case, is there any other way i could do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom