Dual Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nashlabs

Beta member
I have Windows XP Home. How do I partition my HD, install Linux Suse, and make a dual boot system? P.S. I have no money, so Partition Magic is out of the question.

Nashlabs said:
I have Windows XP Home. How do I partition my HD, install Linux Suse, and make a dual boot system? P.S. I have no money, so Partition Magic is out of the question.

good luck

Re: Re: Dual Boot

EricB said:
good luck

I second that good luck :D Third party software is a must if the partion has already been set. Unless you reformat the drive with XP from scratch, then you can build two partitions. If you wish to keep your current data in tact though then it is needed to repartion space thats already allocated.

Nashlabs,

Backup all your stuff. Empty any one of your drives , other than the one which contains XP. I think you can use windows XP cd and partition the free drive into two [ One for 'ROOT' and another for 'SWAP' ].
Boot from windows XP cd, and press 'R'. You ll get the command prompt,type 'diskpart' and create two partitions from the free drive. 'swap' size can be from 500MB or so and leave the rest for root dir installation.
Next , you can use suse disk to format the newly created partitions and install suse

you could use your XP cd to wipe you drive clean, make 2 partitions, install xp on one partition, then modify your boot.ini to do it

but that is too complicated and only a person with expertise in it should do it as it is real easy to make your drive unbootable

to keep all data:

backup XP partition to cd's using a free imaging software
delete xp partition using fdisk, create new, smaller xp partition using xp setup
install xp
use linux setup to make linux partitions, install linux

done

(and good luck on the imaging without Ghost or DriveImage :D )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom