Dual Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

lea0001

In Runtime
Im in the middle right now, of partitioning the new 200GB hdd I got, Im partitioning 120gb for windows, and the remaining 80GB for Fedora Core 5. Once Ive done that and ionstalled linux on the oother partition then How can I make it so when i boot my system it gives me an optuion of booting linux or windows?

Thanks homies, lea0001.

oh no! now ur getting urself in a lot of trouble....i tried this last year and its a hassle [well it is the first time when u dont know whats rong]

i was using Fedora Core 3 and i found if installed that first then XP would come along and root it all up which is bad.

so install XP first. then install fedora core and let it install GRUB [boot loader - this will let u pick which one u want].

this however will stuff up your XP installation. u see Fedora makes 2 partitions for itself and i likes to put these as the first 2 on the disk. XP thinks its the #1 but its not, its #3 now. when booting windows it will say something about some file [hca.dll i think] being missing or corrupt.

so u have to go to boot.ini and change the XP install from somthing like:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)

to

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)

if u manage to install XP and linux and nothing like i described happens, good on ya. by the way anyone else have my problem?

mmm...ok well what happened is that i installed fedora core, after XP of course, and now only winXP boots up not fedora core.

Any Ideas of how to fix this? is it in boot.ini or osmething? plz help.

Install the GRUB bootloader in the FC5 installation CD or DVD, from there you can configure it to boot XP or linux by default and set a timeout as well. I've seen people say not to put the bootloader on the MBR, but I did accidently and I never ran into any problems with it so do it at your own risk.

can u give some more details? fedora wont boot giving what sort of error message/no error message or what?

yeah i have tried with the bootloader on the MBR as well as not on. i havent had any probs or anything, but yeah, do it at own risk.

The thing is i did install grub and defined it so it would boot windows or linux

(windows default)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom