Driver problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

fresh

Beta member
Hi
I have an older computer running windows xp pro sp2. The on-board sound on my mobo is automatically installed during windows install. Unfortunately, the windows driver doesn't work. I have the driver that I know works from biostar (mobo manufacturer) but if I go into device manager and click update driver, it wont let me because my driver is not digitally signed. So I go into the add new hardware wizard, go all the way to the bottom of the current hardware list and click add new. I click have disk, and it installs the driver I choose (the right one) but now, the device I just installed can't start because the windows drivers and still installed on the sound device. If I uninstall the windows drivers now, I still can't get the device to start. If I uninstall the windows driver before I do that new hardware trick, then windows finds the uninstalled windows driver and reinstalls it before I can do anything. By the way the error code I'm getting with the new driver installed is 'Code 10, Device cannot start'. Is there any way to turn off automatic installation of hardware or anything I can do? This is very frustrating. Thank you.

Hi There

If it wont let you install it anyway then you need to change a setting in your control panel.Go into your control panel the go to system then then click the hardware tab and click the driver singning tab and tick the Warn 2nd one down.Then it will warn you but let you install it anyway.Then remove your old driver and install the new one.

After you remove your old driver get a trial copy of a driver cleaner and then clean the drivers off your system before you update to the new ones. This should stop XP from finding the old ones before the new ones are installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom