Drivecrypt to the test

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoppe

Beta member
Well, let's say I am putting DriveCrypt to a REAL LIFE test. I have a question though. I am confused about the encryption language I see being thrown around. I understand that all versions of DriveCrypt are 256 bit encryption, yet I also hear the company touting a 1356 bit encryption for the same program. Which is it? or is both? If so...why?

Ohh..by the way...I'll keep you'll informed of the outcome if you like to know just how secure the program is in practice not just in theory.

Uh... 1356 does not compute!

If encryption increments are using the same base to compute as RAM does, then how can you have 1356?

Using the idea of 2^4 = 64, you cannot raise two to any power to get 1356, or any multiple of 2.

Unless I'm having a logic issue.

What are they trying to say (Drivecrypt)?

A recent email to Securestar produced the following:

I SENT:

I keep hearing that DES encryption is not considered secure yet is one of the encryption options within DriveCrypt 3 and 4. Is this true?

THEY SENT

Yes, DES was broken, but there are still some customers who want it. If you want to encrypt a disk or a partition is not necessary to use DES algorithm.
We offer also this encryption algorithms: AES 256, Triple AES, Blowfish, Triple Blowfish, Tea 16, Tea 32, IDEA, Triple DES, Square and Misty 1.

I SENT:
This is very confusing...

You’ll claim that Drivecrypt has “never been broken”.... which is bold statement... yet you offer, as an optional algorithm, DES which has been broken .... for years. Thus, it is a very real possibility that a customer could purchase this product, use this wide open algorithm (with the unwitting thought that it must be secure if it is offered by such a security conscious organization) only to have it cracked with little budget or effort by even the smallest of organization... thus, don’t look now.... your program has just been compromised or in effect “ it has been broken”. Am I missing something?

I would recommend that you not offer it as an option or at the lease have a pop-up window if it is selected to caution your customers as to its complete uselessness in terms of security...

THEY SENT:

Mr. Richard,

Our program has never been compromised and never been broken.
The standard original DES algorithm has been broken, but not a container of DriveCrypt. Today it is widely common that DES is not safe. we should put a note in the software warning about that. Thank you for your comments.
Regards,

Can someone explain what they are trying to tell me...specifically...what is the subtle difference between a the “container” and the DES encryption that secures it…or am I all confused?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom