drive looks empty

Status
Not open for further replies.

pspec

Baseband Member
hi
I have 3 identical systems except for the dvd/cd. They each have been running xp pro with no problems.
I thought I would test xp pro 64, it installed ok but when it came to install the chipset drives both the DVD drives could not see the disk. I put a cd in that has my sp2 on and had no probs transferring the pack to the desktop. But back to the chipset and again the drive looks empty.

thank

Are you sure the chipset drivers are x64 compatible?

Sorry should have also said I used another pc to take drives from cd to usb drive then to pc c drive and have been installing from there. But it does not solve the no cd prob.

Thanks

Yet this does not answer the question on if the drivers you got are x64 compatible. IT does not matter how you put them on CD. What matters is if they aer compatible. You can use a flash drive to transfer them or redownload them.

To me it jsut seems that the CD ROM drivers were not installed correctly. So are you sure that there are drivers for them with x64? Even jsut generic ones? Have you checked Windows Update?

yep the cd drivers. i reinstalled the raid driver and it works

thanks for your help

Hi
I think I was a bit hasty in saying all was ok. I downloaded the 64bit drives and installed, the problem seems to be with the chipset drive disc which I don't understand. I have 3 identical motherboard and therefore 3 identical driver dvd rom. I have tried all 3 disks and the drive still comes up as empty. I thought I had fix the prob with the driver update as when I put a game dvd rom in it worked. But I needed to go back In to the chipset dvd I found the problem was not fixed as the drive shows as empty.

So the drive shows cds and the game dvd as in drive but all 3 chipset disks as drive empty

Any ideas

Thanks

It sounds as if it just doesnt recognized that CD. Download the drivers from the net. They should be available on the manufacturer website and they should be updated versions as well.

Hi
Thanks for the info I have not had a chance to try it as the hard drive in that unit went bye bye. It's a new HD and its only had a few days use. First the system would always lock and when you scan a sirtan areas of the drive it would also lock. so I think one of the blocks or sectors had gone.
so I thought I would reformat and start again see if that help. But now the pc will not even see the drive. Have tried it in 2 other units as both master and slave and it's the same there. So I think I will have to send it back so I will try the drivers when I get sorted.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom