Drive letters problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dice7

Beta member
So, I'm planning to install Win 7, but I have a problem. I bought this computer about a year ago and installed XP on it. It was all fine, but when I opened My Computer, the drive letters were kinda ****ed up

2i26dkw.png

The C:, D:, E: and F: drivers are there , because I have an MS, SD/MMC, CF/MD, XD and T-F unit type thing instead of the diskette drive and now since they are in that slot, they are the first to get the drive letters assigned, but since none are diskettes, none of them get A: or B:, so It continues from C:, I assume. M: is just a portable disk.

My question now is, how would I set it, so my partition(s) would start from C: and then the other crap, before, between, after I install 7. I've already searched my bios for anything which would disable it with no luck. And simply changing letters wont work, since you can't change the os drive letter. And I don't want to open my case yet, since It still has a warranty.

Please help :(

Is the C drive where XP is installed? If so then just select C when installing 7. If you want 7 installed on C but your XP is installed on another drive letter, then select C and install as you normally would. Then you can deleted the XP partition when 7 is finished.

C, D, E and F are just icons, which when double clicked, request to insert a disk, probably one of those memory cards. XP is on H and H, I and J are one whole disk.
And if my memory doesn't bother me, I think when I was installing XP (and created 3 partitions) I selected C, but then it installed it on H. I and J then being the other 2 partitions I created during the installation

What you could do is begin the process of installing 7 and when it comes time to select where to install it, see what options it gives you. Doing this, you wont lose anything.

You may also want to disable/disconnect the other hardware for the memcards, etc so there are less drives listed.

Yes, but I'm afraid the same thing will happen, when installing XP, where I had the option of installing it on C, D or E, but they later changed to H, I and J.
And I don't want to open my case yet, since It still has a valid warranty

Thats why I said to disable/disconnect any other hardware that requires a drive letter. I'm "thinking" if you do that and get to where you install 7, it "should" be C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom