Drive Letters change

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKF

In Runtime
I'm Dual booting with XP and Vista when I partitioned the HD 1st partition is XP(C) 2nd partition is Vista(E) and my cd/dvd is(D) which is the way it shows when I boot into XP.
But when I boot into Vista my Vista partition is(C) XP(D) cd/dvd(E) everything seems to run ok this way I'm just curious why this happens and could this create any type of problems in the future.

Thanks for any advice

No. You will be just fine. When you boot from the Vista DVD and install it Vista automatically take the C: Drive. Which is normal. I have been dual booting Vista and XP for almost a year now and i haev this same config. I have not had any issues with it ever.

It happens cause Vista likes to take the primary drive letter for PC operations. Which is the C: drive. A & B are reserved for floppy discs so that makes C: the first available drive letter. If you were to install Vista from with in XP you will notice that Vista would take a different drive letter. Only cause at that point Vista recognizes XP as the primary OS and take a different letter.

I hope this helps you understand why it happens.

basically all OS's do this, but with xp it was real easy to mess the drive letter up if you weren't watching yourself, because it would let you install to other drives fairly easy

Thanks for the Info Makaveli213 & EricB I'm a noob when it comes to dual booting and Vista I wasn't sure if that was supposed to do that or I screwed something up :D and may create a problem later on.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom