The Dreaded "I" Word - Intermittent Freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnms238

Solid State Member
Hello, all. I've been having some trouble with my laptop recently, and I was wondering if some intelligent fellow here could help me out.

Recently, I switched my laptop's OS from Vista Home Premium back to XP Professional. Needless to say, I've very happy with the speed increases all around, but there is an issue which has cropped up recently that I am having quite the time troubleshooting.

Approximately 30 minutes to one hour after I boot up my machine, I will begin to experience intermittent freezes. Everything stops; the mouse doesn't move, whatever sound was playing will loop, and not even the Caps Lock light will turn on. This will persist for about 10 seconds, after which everything returns to normal. Then, once this behavior begins, it will repeat itself about every 10 to 15 minutes until I reboot the laptop again. I am quite certain that this is not the work of malware, as I have fully updated versions of Avira AntiVir, Spybot S&D, and SUPERAntiSpyware running, all of which come up clean. I have performed regular maintenance tasks, including a chkdsk scan, defragmentation, deletion of temporary files using CCleaner, ensuring I have all the latest updates from Microsoft Update, and yelling at the screen, but none of these seem to have touched the problem. D=

The installation of XP is very pristine, so I'm really at a loss at this point as to what is going on. I am out of ideas, and any suggestions that you all can lob at me would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I've actually been having the same thing happen to me recently. Xp professional, no spyware or viruses detected.
Though my install is about two or three months old.

It was just a format.
Over the past few days I've been having other problems though. They might be related. I think the SATA controller on my system board is dying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom