Downloading Speed Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

asylixx

Beta member
I have been having a very strange problem. My computer seems to not be able to download things past about 30kbps (MAX).

-I called my ISP, and they said the connections were all fine. I have about 368k DSL

- I decided the problem must be my computer, to test it out I brought my comp to my friends house. While connected to his Cable line (where I am right now), and connected into the same Hub, he can download the same file at the same time at about 300kbps when I can only do 20kbps.

I have no firewalls on or anything like that and we have tried everything weve thought of and nothing seems to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Were you D/Ling the same file at the same time on the same line? That would certainly cause slowdowns. If your computer is very old, as in less than a 1Ghz, then your proc could be limiting transfer (test thsi by timing how long it takes to send a large file with Windows filesharing via a lan). Also, go to TestMy to get an actual, measured speed test. On your DSL line though, those speeds are exactly what you should be getting. Note that your line is measured in kilobits per second, while most browsers use kilobytes (8 bits to a byte), hence your seemingly slow speed.

No at first I was downloading it on my own, and it was going at about 20, so I kept telling my friend to try the same file and he did and it went at about 300-400. THEN we tried it at the same time and it went about 250-300 for him and 20 for me.

As for my processor, its a 2.17ghz. I dont think thats a problem. . .

And its something on my computer's end, because it does the SAME exact thing whether I'm on my DSL or his Cable.

Well we reistalled that sh*t like you said and tried to download a file and instead of going 20 it went at about 190kbps. We feel like idiots for doing stuff that was way too complicating. lol thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom