Downgrading to XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could also wait for Windows 7 to come out, then to an upgrade install to it.

Most of the 7/Vista drivers are backwards compatible.

Why doesn't he like Vista? Figure that out first, then i bet you can tweak Vista so he'll like it, or at least can deal with it.

Not like the popups asking for permission, you can turn that off. Doesn't like the resource hogging, turn off the glass interface. Doesn't like the sidebar, turn that off. You get the idea.

The only other option would be for him to purchase a computer with Windows 7 in the fall.

Yea, you hit the perverbial nail, Lex. Everything about it just irritates him, and I told him I could tone it down alot, but he just wants his "little blue blanky" back. And the reason I said "I cant blame him" is Im mostly the same way. It took me forever to get weened off of 98se. some of us just dont take change very well, and I know that computers are no place for these insecurities. Com geeks are supposed to be "Up with the times" and are always supposed to have the newest upgrades and apps to make things easier.
And I have Win7 on another computer and am very impressed with it, and have told him that its fast and feels alot like XP, but he's set on just returning to his "warmth". I have a feeling he's just going to have to be dissappointed.

I think the real problem he is having is he has completely filled his 300GB HD and now the computer is feeling it and giving him problems. I think I may just back everything up for him on an external and do a complete recovery and do as you say and just tweak it as best I can for him and see if he cant get along with it a little better. I would just put windows 7 eval. on it for him to try but in a month he can just buy the real thing. Just bad timing for him I guess.

If anyone has any other suggestions, Im checking in off and on.
Thanks Guys.

TROTTER!

Still using that avatar I made for you, ...sweet! (let me know when your ready for a change, I'll hook it up for ya)
And thanks alot for the links, I'll look into some of that and see if he wants to try some of it. Ive actuall looked into some of this before for myself, but i think Im presonally ready for the switch. I was think of switching to an x64 OS anyway for what little gaming I do, and for my Graphics Design biz.

Thanks again

When I said g/l its because I looked, HP only has Vista and Win7 support.

So now you needed to try and figure out what chipset is in it, what wireless card etc, and d/l them from the source manufactuer.

Which is nearly impossible.. but with a bit of luck, has been done.

I'd do what you're thinking.. or even clone it, so when he goes elsewhere, and you have to fix it, Its easy.

A full drive really slows down a system.

patonb said:
So now you needed to try and figure out what chipset is in it, what wireless card etc, and d/l them from the source manufactuer.

Which is nearly impossible.. but with a bit of luck, has been done.
Actually, if you have the make and model you can look them up on HP's site (the motherboard). ;) The rest you use something like Everest or Belarc Advisor to find.

Even if you have all the makes and models for the parts, that doesnt mean that there is XP drivers. The mobo, which the chipset drivers revolve around, are going to be done by HP which is already stated by them that there is no XP Drivers. So right there you could severaly hurt your chances for full support.

I've ran across this before, just because the manu doesnt make drivers for their own hardware or have compat issues, etc, you can but not always, find universal drivers that someone else made, if you happen to go that route.

I agree, sorta. Ive used/use vista drivers with my XP, and usually they SEEM to work, But I also have to agree with Mak since my PC is riddled with glitches, nothing massivly major, but definitly irritating stuff. Just because they work and play well with the other drivers for this startup doesnt always mean theyll work for every startup. Im sure it depends on what your doing and/or what you have installed, but personally Ive had about enough (on my own PC) and am ready to just conform to what ever gets me through a full day smoothly. And plus, Im not quite ready to do this on a friends PC. He wouldnt understand enough about it all to get things going again if something went wrong.
Thanks for the help guys. I guess Im just going to recover vista for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom