Downgrading to XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokernod

In Runtime
I have a client/friend who would like me to downgrade his HP dv7-1264nr notebook from Vista to XP. I know its possible, but Ive never attempted it before.
I found a rather short, but decent article on how to do this but Im wondering If it should be done at all or if I should just copy everything to a external backup drive, install XP from scratch, and then just let him access his files from the backup, Or copy his important files (Docs n stuff) back to his new "My Documents" folder. I believe he thinks that everything will be the same except it will all be "XP". I know it wont, and I told him Im just not sure what will happen if I do this, but Im sure its not going to be as smooth as he thinks. So I came here to get the low-down.
Has anyone done this before? Am I dancing with the BSOD here? Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance guys.

I have a client/friend who would like me to downgrade his HP dv7-1264nr notebook from Vista to XP. I know its possible, but Ive never attempted it before.
I found a rather short, but decent article on how to do this but Im wondering If it should be done at all or if I should just copy everything to a external backup drive, install XP from scratch, and then just let him access his files from the backup, Or copy his important files (Docs n stuff) back to his new "My Documents" folder. I believe he thinks that everything will be the same except it will all be "XP". I know it wont, and I told him Im just not sure what will happen if I do this, but Im sure its not going to be as smooth as he thinks. So I came here to get the low-down.
Has anyone done this before? Am I dancing with the BSOD here? Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance guys.

I'd download new drivers and start from scratch but this is how you do it.

How to Downgrade from Vista to XP - Regress Without Reformatting - Solutions by PC Magazine

Thanks for the help guys, always appreciate it.

Saxon: are there drivers for xp on this laptop?

If you mean did it have XP first and was upgraded, then no, otherwise Im not sure.

patonb: G/l no factory XP support..

????? G/l ?????

Osiris: I'd download new drivers and start from scratch but this is how you do it.

How to Downgrade from Vista to XP - Regress Without Reformatting - Solutions by PC Magazine

Yep, thats the article I was checking out, seems fairly simple but I was wondering if it was going to be fairly simple or if it was just written to look that way. LOL

So guys.......Just back it all up (system files too?) and fresh install XP?
Is cloning to the external drive an option? never cloned either.
I usually just burn discs and start fresh. But this guys military and has alot of Power Point stuff that he wants to keep and be able to access. I dont use power point so Im not completely sure if it can be done like that. (for instance, I can easily access my PSD files with photoshop no matter where they are located,.....externally, internally, CD, etc......doesnt matter. Is it the same with Power Point?)

thanks for all the help.

pokernod not all computers now have XP support what makes downgrading hard or impossible because of the lack of drivers.

Have you thought about applications? Usually laptops comes with a decent amount of applications, does the client have the applications he wants to use? When you install XP you'll not only have to copy over the documents, but you will have to install any applications they use.

Also not a lot of new laptops have drivers for XP. Manf. of new hardware don't always create XP drivers since it is outdated and not needed. So before installing XP you need to make sure you can get your hands on the drivers needed (if possible because again newer hardware won't have drivers for an old XP OS), software needed and backup all files he wants.

pokernod not all computers now have XP support what makes downgrading hard or impossible because of the lack of drivers.

Thank you for this Saxon. I really didnt even think about the notebook being so new as it may not support XP. So I called HP and they told me NO, this notebook does not support XP.
So, this may be a dumb question but its the same one Im going to get asked. "What are my options here, or do I even have any?"
The reason I ask is, The guy has been using this notebook for a while now and just does not like Vista (cant blame him). And Im sure if I dont do this he'll just take it somewhere else and try to have it done. Id like to explain to him what can and cant be done here before he goes messing something up, since I would most likely be the one who has to repair it.
And Im guessing this isnt like my own (desktop) PC, where as: I format, install XP and then spend the next week looking for drivers.....but eventually find them all and have a good running Com for a year or so until I get irritated and format again. (i.e. - I cant do this anyway and just search for the drivers myself? I mean, theyre non-existent?)

Thanks again Saxon, you probably saved me from making a decent mistake. But then thats why we come here, right......cant always think of everything. Im just glad I didnt just jump in and start doing this without making sure it could be done first.

Why doesn't he like Vista? Figure that out first, then i bet you can tweak Vista so he'll like it, or at least can deal with it.

Not like the popups asking for permission, you can turn that off. Doesn't like the resource hogging, turn off the glass interface. Doesn't like the sidebar, turn that off. You get the idea.

The only other option would be for him to purchase a computer with Windows 7 in the fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom