downgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.

sum1nowhere

Baseband Member
im trying to reformat my computer but it wouldnt boot from my cd even though the boot sequence is cd,A: drive, C:. so i ran the cd in windows and this screen pops up with all these options so i click the one that says "install windows xp" and i get this error message that says
"Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD.

Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be recovered."
so i clicked 'details" and it says this...
"Issue Description:

To install the version on the CD, restart your computer, boot from this CD, and follow the instructions for a new installation.

Warning: The default setup options will replace your existing version of Windows with this version. If you wish to keep both versions you must select a new destination folder for this version of Windows. If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be recovered. "
..so obviously since its telling me to boot from the cd; the cd has to be a bootable cd. right now im using windows xp pro but the cd im using is windows xp home edition. so does any one know of how i can downgrade my OS?

So when you set your boot sequence, you didn't get the message to "Press any button to boot from Disk" ?

Make sure you are watching for the message and try again.

So its not letting you boot to Disk.

Your going from Xp home to, xp home ?
Do you have Sp2 ?
Try uninstalling SP2 and installing from there...

If you have the chance... back up whatever you want to save and do a reformat.

Ahhhh... Ok...
I have seen some situations where uninstalling SP2 works... But I have also seen situations where you will need to reformat to get the Home v. on your machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom