Double clicking an image opens windows photo gallery instead of preview the image

Status
Not open for further replies.

saminbama

Beta member
I have the same problem. With all due respect, Vista does not work the same way as XP does. When I click open with, Windows Photo Gallery is already selected and in fact that program opens the photos but not in a preview (full screen) like it did yesterday. It opens a 'contact sheet' of all photos and in order to view the one, you have to right-click it like the user above described.

Does anyone know how to get Windows Vista to open a PREVIEW of the photo (factory default) instead of a screen full of thumbnails?

I'm having the same problem. Thanks,
Sam

Have you checked the settings of the Photo Gallery software? That is a part of Vista yes, but it is still its own software. So if you by accident ever changed these settings they would have been saved that way.

Yes, I understand that it's part of Windows but is its own software. The only thing that might have changed the settings was I right-clicked on a photo and opened with a different program (mspaint) in order to edit the photo, but I did not change anything.

Unfortunately, there are not many options in Windows Vista Photo Gallery to change back. I'm thinking it's probably going to be a registry fix since the software itself has bare-minimum options.

I've struggled with adjusting to Vista so I'm not ready to "restore" yet, considering the myriad fixes I've had to make in order for my other software to work with Vista 64. I'm a student, and I bought this computer (with new OS) out of necessity, not because I wanted a new version of Windows.

I'm still hopeful to find someone who can fix the setting for me. I remember in previous versions of Windows, one could select not only the program associated with a file type, but also the action to take when the user double-clicks or opens that file type ("open", "run", "preview", "explore" for example). If I could get to that screen I could fix Windows Photo Gallery to preview the photos like it did a few days ago. In the meantime, I'm using IrfanView.

Remember, the setting I want is the Windows Vista Photo Gallery Default (show preview in full-screen). I just don't know how to get there.

Thanks again,

Sam

Next time you open an image, right click, and use "open with" then "Choose Default Program"
Select program and ensure "Always use This........" is checked

No differednt from XP, just a different default program.

Edit.... Also, on the start menu is a huge button that says default programs, where you can set the file type/program like you want.

Next time you open an image, right click, and use "open with" then "Choose Default Program"
Select program and ensure "Always use This........" is checked

No differednt from XP, just a different default program.

Edit.... Also, on the start menu is a huge button that says default programs, where you can set the file type/program like you want.

Thanks, the "default programs" button fixed it, including the preview view instead of the thumbnail screen.

I really appreciate it.

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom