Double clicking an image opens windows photo gallery instead of preview the image - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 08:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Double clicking an image opens windows photo gallery instead of preview the image

When I double click an image it opens windows photo gallery instead of simply letting me preview the image in the photo gallery, I have to actually right click on the image then click preview (which is half way down the list instead of being at the top where it should be, instead open is at the top) I have an idea i may have to edit the registry to change the properties of my right click menu, I have backed up my registry but i dont know exactly what to enter and where to enter it. Just in case anyone suggests I right click and 'open with' in order to change the default program, i already know this isnt the case as this is the first thing i tried. The problem is far more advanced that than, iv spent ages searching the net, iv even tried ccleaner to clean up my registry hoping this would fix any errors, but the problems still exists!! I had a similar problem ages ago and i had to edit the registry, but i cant remember for the life of me what i did!! Plus i think i was on xp then. Please help!!! fi x x

Old 03-03-2008, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired.

Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913
Default Re: Double clicking an image opens windows photo gallery instead of preview the image

Right click on the image>Open with>Choose Program
Select "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer"
Remember to check: "Also use selected program to open this kind of file"
Press 'OK'

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Devious Techie

Send a message via ICQ to therascalking Send a message via AIM to therascalking Send a message via Yahoo to therascalking
Default Re: Double clicking an image opens windows photo gallery instead of preview the image

done and done... easy fix... alot of stressing for nothing haha...
post back if this doesnt fix your problem (it should tho)
good luck - RK

*School, work, girls? No time for computers! :P*
Old 03-03-2008, 10:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

No, thats the first thing i tried, i prob should hav mentioned im on vista. When i right click on the image, Open is at the top of my right click menu instead of Preview, therefore when i double click on the image it just opens windows photo gallery and preview the image. I have an idea i may have to edit the registry to change the properties of my right click menu, I backed up my registry & i think i have to enter something in: "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\Sh ellEx\" but i dont know exactly what to enter and where to enter it. I had a similar problem ages ago and i had to edit the registry, but i cant remember for the life of me what i did!! Plus i think i was on xp then x x
Old 03-03-2008, 10:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Have you changed the file association within the Default Programs list for Vista? They are located right on the start menu so you should see them right away. From there change the default and see what happens.

I know when i click a picture it open Photo Gallery as well. It also does that when i click on it and select preview. So i dont know exactly what your issue is. :S

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 03-03-2008, 10:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Devious Techie

Send a message via ICQ to therascalking Send a message via AIM to therascalking Send a message via Yahoo to therascalking

oh dear, nvm... sry for time-wasting... im not a vista user, so im useless im afraid haha...
good luck anyways - RK

*School, work, girls? No time for computers! :P*
Old 03-03-2008, 10:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired.

You need to change th default program that Vista uses to open the pictures.

"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Quote:
Old 03-03-2008, 10:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

RK Vista is not that different from XP. The process Peter mentioned is done the same way in Vista as it is in XP. Just uses a different program. Instead of Picture and Fax Viewer it is jsut the Photo Gallery.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli213 View Post
RK Vista is not that different from XP. The process Peter mentioned is done the same way in Vista as it is in XP. Just uses a different program. Instead of Picture and Fax Viewer it is jsut the Photo Gallery.
oh...

Quote:
Old 03-03-2008, 11:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Shocking i know. But Vista is ot as scary as everyone makes it out to be. It really isnt that much different than XP. I am in Vista and tried that process and it works here just as it did on XP when i first read the post.

Closed Thread