Dos to Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Explain more, because transfering a program, do you mean take DOS from like Windows 2000 to XP, or you mean c <prgm> ?

-SkyHi

What version of Windows? You can explore your entire drive through Windows, and get access to anything... Uncluding any DOS programs. Which Windows are you running?

And yes, please explain a little further. More detailed. What is it you are exactly trying to do?

Rosie said:
Is it poss to transfer a program form DOS to windows?:
First off, DOS is an integral part of Windows. Any program that runs in DOS, can be run in Windows (one way or another).

If you're asking about an old program built for DOS, chances are, you can use it in Windows, but the actual functionality will be sketchy or unusable.

HI and thanks.
The situation is this There is an old accountancy package desiged for DOS which works well in windows XP through DOS. I want to know if it is possible to convert to a Windows program ( without going through DOS?)
Rosie

Nope. A DOS based program can only be run in DOS. XP has CMD, which is pretty much DOS but just as a program in Windows. Why dont you just get the newer version of the program? What is the program?

windows xp has compatability modes for legacy programs. right click the exe and click properties. click compatability tab. this does not change the code, just changes the way windows executes the program. To convert a dos app to a pure win app you'll need to rewrite the code.

That won't help. It's an old DOS application, probably from before Win95.

You'll just have to keep running it in the DOS shell, or else get a programmer(s) to rebuild it.

Get DOS Box, it's an emulator for DOS. I know only of it's existance, however, as I have never used it. But, is this program graphical? Or does it just run the from CMD/DOS window in XP?

Just out of curiousity, does it use 100% of your CPU? I have a DOS DASIC editor called QBASIC (I think) and it uses all it can get. The only program I made with it did that too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom