Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavlyk

Banned
Hey all,

I was windering is it possible to

1) Run winrar applications from DOS

2)Specifically Windows XP Home Edition

What I mean is if for example after I reformat my hd, and plan on installing XP Home from dos, is it possible for me to access the setup.exe file on a cd if its in .rar/.zip mode?

Thanks

You cannot install XP from a rar or zip file... u will have issues with temporary storage and RAM etc etc etc.

What if i just extracted the files from rar to like a blank cd, then burned it, would that work?

First off, I hope we're missinterpreting what you're saying and you in fact do not have Windows-XP in a zip/rar file...

Second, it doesn't matter where you send the data during the unzip-process. It all goes to RAM first. Remember, everything runs in RAM (except some graphics and sound work).

Lastly, if you have WinRAR, you can execute the application from the internal command prompt (which is not true DOS on XP OS's), but you're not getting around any of the OS limitations or functionality by doing so, as the command-prompt in most newer versions of Windows is NOT true DOS.

Pavlyk said:
What I mean is if for example after I reformat my hd, and plan on installing XP Home from dos, is it possible for me to access the setup.exe file on a cd if its in .rar/.zip mode?

You don't need to install winXP from DOS. Boot directly with the winXP CD and use it's own setup utility. What you want to do sounds more like disk cloning. Do some reading on Norton Ghost 2003, it might be what you're wanting to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom