DOS Commands

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamieH123

Solid State Member
Hey Every1-.

I have just started my computer tech job and i am after some info and these forums have been really great about giving it out and i am sure once i get to become wise and knowledgeable as some of the people here i will be happy to share it with the forums - but i have a simple question for ya'll. -
i was just wondering about some of the Command Prompts for windows that could become usefull in my journeys eg : IPCONFIG for my internal ip adress..... post them here good bad and ugly ones and ones that yourselfs have found extremely usefull in day to day jobs, thanx - Jamie

ping [website or IP address] = tells you if your PC can get a response from a certain site/computer/router

del "[file path and name]" = delete this file. Useful to remove files that are locked by explorer.exe. just close explorer, and use the command prompt.

copy "[original path and file]" "[destination path and file]" = copies the file

cut "[original path and file]" "[destination path and file]" = cuts and pastes the file

edit.com = text editor. useful to repair/remake files such as boot.ini if you can't boot into Windows, but can load a command prompt. can even make batch files.

fdisk = for deleting/partitioning drives. you must actually have the fdisk program though.

dir "[directory]" = see what's in a particular directory

help = shows you available commands and what they do

These are some that I normally use:

traceroute:

tracert ip-address

nslookup:

nslookup domain-name

To get to a FTP server:

ftp ip-address-of-ftp-server
ftp name-of-server

telnet on specific ports for troubleshooting:

telnet ip-address port#

Alt + Enter makes the command prompt be as big as your screen

you can also check the following link:

http://www.computerhope.com/msdos.htm#02

Trifid said:
pint 127.0.0.1 -t

to continue pinging. change 127.0.0.1 to the desired ip.
there's also -w *
where * is the timeout value in milliseconds

I find it useful to set it to a low value (like 75), so it doesn't spend so much time if it times out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom