Don't know if hardware or software - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 07:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Don't know if hardware or software

Hi,

I've been trying to track down USB issues on my newly built computer.

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=60616

Lately, I've been able to boot past POST, which is a big step in itself, but I've been having problems with my computer completely stopping working. Because I couldn't move the mouse cursor or use the keyboard, I assumed that it was USB related with the bluetooth adapter that I was having problems with.

Turns out that I might have been wrong about that. I checked the event log for the times that my computer has stopped, and the last events listed are ten or so of the following:

Quote:
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CdRom0.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
In order to get my machine to work, I have to use the reset button.

Any ideas on what this could be? The CDRom in question is a Plextor PX-716A DVD burner. When the machine is running, I don't seem to have any problems with it. I've burned a few DVDs w/o problems since putting the machine together. I checked the jumper, and it is set correctly. The burner is connected to the correct part of the IDE cable.

Thanks

Old 07-11-2005, 07:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Do you have SP2 installed? I had no USB related problems on my current new system until I installed SP2. Sp1 worked fine....now with SP2, my USB DVD-rw is not longer recognized and even with driver rollback and updates.....Nada. Might be SP2!!!!!

Old 07-11-2005, 08:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

Check your cables. If they are ok, uninstall it from your system through device manager, then let windows install it back. Uninstall any software you have for the dvd burner. Then reboot and see what happens.Does the burner givr you a blinking code? Might also want to check the power supply.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by RicoDirenzo
Do you have SP2 installed? I had no USB related problems on my current new system until I installed SP2. Sp1 worked fine....now with SP2, my USB DVD-rw is not longer recognized and even with driver rollback and updates.....Nada. Might be SP2!!!!!
I do have SP2 installed.

My DVD burner isn't USB, it's IDE. The only reason I mentioned the USB is because I was having problems booting past POST, and thought that the freezing of the system was the latest USB issue. It's looking more and more like it's actually the CDROM that's causing it, because I get several errors in my event viewer right before the system locks.
Closed Thread