Domain/workgroup users

Status
Not open for further replies.

canooten

In Runtime
This may belong in the Enterprise section, so I apologize if it's the wrong forum.

I have a computer that was originally set up on a domain (SBS2003 controller). The user was moved to a different facility that uses a workgroup so now a local account would be best. Before the move, the user transferred all documents from the SBS to the local C drive and mostly weaned themselves off the domain, but was still using the domain user account that they had always used.

When they moved to the new facility, no changes were needed to the computer...just plugged into the network and all was good. Today they attempted to change the domain user to workgroup. Rebooted and of course could not log back in. They have access to the local administrator account, so they can log into the machine and can access their files and programs, but of course all their user settings and desktop files are not readily accessible.

Is it possible to either change the workgroup back to domain for that domain user, or access desktop files using the local admin account?

I don't think you can put it back on the domain unless you are actually connected to the controller. If you go to my computer and say it's part of a domain it's going to try and authenticate that with the domain controller - asking for an admin user name and password. So going back to a domain environment when the PC is no longer able to connect isn't an option.

Gotcha. I thought it might be the case, but had doubts since for the last 6 weeks or so the machine has not been connected to the same network as the domain controller, though it was using the same account created for the domain and worked fine.

If it can't be done, we'll work around it....99% of the needed data was stored on C: anyway, so it's readily accessible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom