Does "SLIPSTREAM" mean? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 05:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Imperial Space Womble

Default What Does "SLIPSTREAM" mean?

Okay, I am mucking around with a Windows Media Centre install.

Quote:
Welcome to Windows XP Media Center Edition Transformation pack:

What it is: A set of files to convert ANY version of XP Professional
sp1 slipstream to Media Center Edition.

How to use:
Before starting the process, make sure you have these Items:
1.) 3 gigs free on your hard drive
2.) CD 2 of tablet PC (Windows XP Professional CD2) its around 150 megs.
3.) Any version of Windows XP Professional WITH service pack 1 slipstreamed.
If your version doesn't have service pack 1 slipstreamed, simply perform this
in-between step 2 and 3.
What do they mean by "SLIPSTREAMED"?

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!" -- Rob Zombie
Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
Asus N61JV-JX231V - Intel Core i5 3437u (1.9 - 2.4 GHz), 12GB, 640GB, 16" Display, nVidia 325M 1Gb, DVD-RW, Win 10 (64-bit)
Mobile Phone : Samsung Galaxy 5 Note SM-N920IConsole : Play Station 4
Old 10-28-2005, 07:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

It means to slip an item into the XP installation like a service pack. I use Autostreamer to SlipStream SP2.

Old 10-28-2005, 07:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Imperial Space Womble

So what makes that so different from just using the word INSTALL.

Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
Asus N61JV-JX231V - Intel Core i5 3437u (1.9 - 2.4 GHz), 12GB, 640GB, 16" Display, nVidia 325M 1Gb, DVD-RW, Win 10 (64-bit)
Old 10-28-2005, 08:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Harper
So what makes that so different from just using the word INSTALL.
most of us just have a home sp1 or home no service pack (2600) disc. when you install the sp2 file on the xp sp1 computer, half of the time the computer doesn't work. however if you slip the sp2 part into the original xp d and install it as a fresh install, everything works.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=188337

where did you get that tranformation pack?
Old 10-28-2005, 11:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I use both slipstream and regular install through the net. I've done it around 6 times because I constantly lose backups. I've never ever had problems installing it maybe I was just lucky. Then I got smart and slipstreamed a disc. This is a great method.
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 10-28-2005, 07:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Imperial Space Womble

Question Call Me N00B, But....

Could some one explain to me what exactly is SLIPSTREAMING?

Like why do people do it?

Old 10-28-2005, 08:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

But what, exactly, is slipstreaming, you ask? Back when Microsoft was developing Windows 2000, the company decided to create up a more elegant way of integrating service packs and other fixes back into the core OS, so that enterprise customers could always maintain an install set of the latest version of Windows, ready to be installed at any time on new machines. In the NT days, this process was convoluted at best, and service pack installs often required users to reinstall components that had previously been installed. It just wasn't elegant, but Windows 2000 fixed all that, and in XP the slipstreaming process is largely unchanged.

For end users, slipstreaming can also be useful. For example, you can copy the installation directory from your XP CD-ROM to the hard drive, slipstream the XP SP2 files into that installation directory, and than write it back to a recordable CD, giving you a bootable copy of the XP setup disk that includes SP2 right out of the box (so to speak). That's the process we're going to examine here. And slipstreaming isn't limited to service packs, either: You can also slipstream in various product updates, including hot-fixes. Previous to the release of SP2, I created a bootable XP CD that included the original "gold" version of XP, Service Pack 1a, and the Security Rollup 1 update, all meshed together into a single install. Now, I've tossed that CD aside for one that includes XP SP2 instead. Let's take a look at how I did this.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

word for word from Mr. Thurrot ^_^.
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 10-29-2005, 02:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I made a slipstreamed windows instalation with winxp sp2 office 2003 avast antivirus and spybot Nero and a few other programs and they all install with the windows instalation.Real sweet..
Old 10-29-2005, 02:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by sPlAtOiD
I made a slipstreamed windows instalation with winxp sp2 office 2003 avast antivirus and spybot Nero and a few other programs and they all install with the windows instalation.Real sweet..
how did you do that? I had problems slipstreaming .exe's files

Closed Thread