Does anyone mind...? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 07:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Does anyone mind...?

Installing iTunes for Windows on their computers? My father has prohibited me from installing anything on his PC, and thus I have no way to try it out for myself.

www.apple.com

Please give me the feedback on how it runs.

Please, for the love of God, dont give me rants on how good PCs are or how much better WinAMP is. All I want is a real analysis of the software.

So, PC lovers of the world, will any of you ablidge?

Old 10-16-2003, 10:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I didnt want you to test the iTunes Music store. I wanted you to try out the app itself, which, incase you didnt notice, plays music also. AAC, MP3, AIFF... all your formats without a pesky and unreliable winamp plugin. Apple isnt in the business of putting spyware on computers or destroying PC music players, its just an addition to the library of music players.

Can someone just try out the app? Uninstall it if you dont like it. I really couldnt give a rat's ***.

Old 10-16-2003, 11:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
the flaming hermit

Send a message via ICQ to þÄ®âÐÖx Send a message via Yahoo to þÄ®âÐÖx

Instead of using a "pesky and unreliable winamp plugin", iTunes uses QuickTime to play audio. Which means you can't install iTunes without having QuickTime installed in the background. However, it seems to run decently and the sound quality is great (but not better than Winamp). Memory usage is slightly higher than Windows Media player, but nothing too noticable really. Too bad for Apple the beta version of Winamp 5 came out today too, so iTunes was only on my hard drive for a matter of minutes
Old 10-17-2003, 12:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

paradox ur serious?!!! winamp 5 is out now!!!

whoa gotta go check that out, thanks for the news info !

-edit

wait what the hell? winamp 3 hasn't even been updated yet, how can version 5 be out? i can't seem to find it on the website. what gives paradox???? are you tricking me?
Old 10-17-2003, 12:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
the flaming hermit

Haha, well technically it's not out yet.. but the beta was leaked. I can't post any links for you since it's technically illegal to download, but it's not too difficult to find. Also the reason it's Winamp 5 and not 4 is it's supposed to combine the best features of Winamp 2 and 3 (2 + 3 = 5)
Old 10-17-2003, 01:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by þÄ®âÐÖx
Instead of using a "pesky and unreliable winamp plugin", iTunes uses QuickTime to play audio. Which means you can't install iTunes without having QuickTime installed in the background. However, it seems to run decently and the sound quality is great (but not better than Winamp). Memory usage is slightly higher than Windows Media player, but nothing too noticable really. Too bad for Apple the beta version of Winamp 5 came out today too, so iTunes was only on my hard drive for a matter of minutes
Good. Finally I get a nice review of how it runs.

By the way paradox, do you find it to be a fast application in terms of response(song changing, scrolling, etc.)?
Old 10-17-2003, 03:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
the flaming hermit

It's generally pretty responsive.. I actually like it quite a bit better than WMP as far as look and feel. The only feature it's really missing is video playback, but it was never really meant to be a media player - just a jukebox.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by þÄ®âÐÖx
It's generally pretty responsive.. I actually like it quite a bit better than WMP as far as look and feel. The only feature it's really missing is video playback, but it was never really meant to be a media player - just a jukebox.
Yeah, it doesnt play video, but I still think that it should, as it forces you to install quicktime on your PC. The video name shows on your library play list, you double click it, and instead of playing music, a little, resizable window pops up to play your movie. It would be quick and people wouldnt complain about quicktime. But, on the other hand, quicktime doesnt play .wmv nor .avi movies, so it pretty much would never become a full multimedia jukebox.

Closed Thread