Does all old software work on Vista? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 05-02-2007, 08:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Does all old software work on Vista?

Hey everyone I was just wondering if Vista has backwards capability with software? Basically how Win XP can run programs designed for Windows 98. If so how far back does it have? Becuase currently I'm not running really anything on my computer besides the OS and Office 2007.

Windows Vista Ultimate
Xion Solaris Black/Green Mid ATX Case w/Neon Glow
Intel 975XBX2KR Intel Socket 775 ATX -Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Kingston Dual Channel HyperX 2048MB DDR2 800MHz
Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA Hard Drive
BFG GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB PCI-E Dual DVI/HDTV/HDCP Enabled Video Card
Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCI Sound Card
Sony DVD Burner and Sony 1.44 MB Floppy Drive
24" Samsung LCD TV/Monitor
Old 05-02-2007, 08:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Does all old software work on Vista?

Unfortunately Vista is horrible for backward compatibility at least to the average computer user. I haven't much personal experience myself. Except like I tried using partition magic 8 on Vista and that was a big no go.

I'd say check out this link though.

Windows Vista RTM Software Compatibility List - IeXwiki

Old 05-02-2007, 09:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

I have had little to no problems running older apps. Some apps have had to be updated but they are all being done or are already done. Zone Alarm has their Firewall in Beta right now. Avast is already compatable. The list goes on.

The Wiki is good but it doesnt have everything. It says BitDefender istn compatable but they have already upgraded their software. It also says NOD32 version 2.51, with version 3 already out and fully compatable why would you use version 2.51? It shows McAfee who has also updaed their software.

So as you see many things do work. Some applicaiton just require an update. you say you jsut run the OS and Office 2007. Both are fully compatable with each other.
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 05-02-2007, 09:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

As far as having an actual compatibility list that's out for lunch at the present time. The dual boot of Vista with XP found that several older games and AVG as well as Ad-Aware, Spyware Terminator, and other older programs including Roxio's Easy Media Creator 8 went right on.

Some newer games like Metal of Honor: Allied Assault won't even install. And the software for the MCE model tv tuner card needs a new software. It's trial and error time again like origianlly seen with XP.
Closed Thread