documents folder/partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

sintan

Baseband Member
ok here's my third query of the week. keepin' them on different threads as they're unrelated.

i've been reading much info on using separate partitions for speed and organisation. my usual rule of thumb is this:
anything that needs to be installed in anyway that affects the registry is kept on main partition with OS as they need reinstalling anyway should i reformat. anything that can be considered storage such as music, films, saves and general documents or downloads are kept on another partition(usually separate physical drive) so they can be left alone should i reformat.

so naturally my documents are kept on a seperate drive/partition. but what i'm curious about is whether i should move the entire 'documents and settings' folder to the second partition or just the documents folder. how would these alternatives affect the running of windows XP if anything at all?

thanks!

thanks for the reply.
yeah i've used that method for some time. i was just curious whether to move the entire documents and settings folder to the other drive. i guess the only benefit of this would be safety incase of corruption on the OS partition, but i thought i'd enquire all the same

There is no ill effect. The only ill effect would be if you had a password protected profile and when you tried to access the Doc & Settings folder from another OS it would give you a error due to it being protected.

You can do what you want. Hefe moves the folder, i just make sure that all my settings are set up to save documents to my documents Drive, Pics to the Pics drive and so on. I dont move my Windows created Personal folder, but i dont use them either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom