Do I need to update chipset drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

porgorg

Baseband Member
I've got a HP D530 motherboard running 7 x86 and it's chipset drivers fall into the category of i865P/PE/G/i848P [according to CPUZ].

Looking in system devices I can find the Southbridge chipset [82801 etc] but no sign of the i865.
357ko6e.png

The Southbridge, processor and ACPI drivers are all versions 6.1.7600.16385 in Device Manager. The latest version of the chipset I can find is a 5.1, so would the chipset more than likely be the same version as the 6.1 and if so is there any point trying to install this chipset download seeing as it looks like an earlier version?

The reason I'm trying to update is because of a ROM Checksum error at startup. I've looked into it and it's seems to be the BIOS can't recognise my GFX card [Nvidia 6200]. Got the latest drivers and latest BIOS and the card works okay but just thought it may have something to do with the chipset.
Also thought that a chipset upgrade may open up the BIOS a bit more as it's a bit limited [for overclocking etc.].

I'm on the understanding that a chipset is the combined component controller of the graphics, RAM and CPU. So when you update the GFX driver does that count as upgrading the chipset?

Sorry for all the questions but seems the more I look into this the further down the hole I fall.

Not quite sure what the problem is TBH. Checksum errors on boot up usually only call for a CMOS reset and if that fails a few times, a new battery. You can't really upgrade your chipset, you'd have to upgrade you motherboard.

I was really clutching at straws with this one. I've never really understood chipset drivers so thought maybe updating them may help with a few little problems.

My main problem was that I couldn't find the chipset version of i865 in device manager, all I had was the Southbridge one [Intel 828...].
Wondered if the processor driver version is also the chipset [that they're the same thing].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom