Do I need to Reinstall XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorsoft

Fully Optimized
The last few weeks, after a few viruses were removed from my system by Norton, I have been having some minor problems with my PC. The biggest and most important one, however, is its inability to run DOS programs. I used to be able to run text adventures and even Carmageddon just fine, and now whenever I try it gives me an error message saying:
F:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\AUTOEXEC.NT The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose cloth to terminate the application.

So, my question is, can I pop in the WinXP Pro disc and do a 'fix' or do I need to do a complete reinstall of the OS (I would really hate that...)
Any help is much appreciated.

if it is not...
you dont need to format. but i suggest it.... (that way u dont get more problems later...) but u might not u never know

here is how to fix it....
Lets say your cd drive is called L ok? put in your windows cd and hit X when it comes up.. then:
go to your command prompt
Start -> Run -> type in cmd

ok from here type this in: (make sure ur EXACT)
expand L:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt

IF that doens't work, you have 2 more options before formatting
one is u post back and we'll try another thing to type in... if not try this link:
http://support.packardbell.com/uk/mypc/index.php?dwn=6945970000;dosapps_sp2_patch.exe

Hey I know it took me a while to post back on this, but your solution seems to have worked perfectly, thanks a lot you guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom