Do I need to defragment my swap file partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
I have a swap file partition on the beginning of my second HD.

Does it ever need to be defragmented?

And if not should I allow windows to use the full amount of the partition?

you should defragment your swapfile, ordinary defrag utilities can't do this however. A poor mans method would be to reduce the swapfile to zero, reboot then set it back to what it was. Effectively deleting and recreating the swapfile.

"And if not should I allow windows to use the full amount of the partition?"

I don't understand what you're asking here

I doubt that creating a new page file works. I heard about this method many times; instead of defragging some people copy over all files on their disk, move them to another disk, and move them back.

I tried this; it willl help a little, but after analysis it will still be fragmented.

When I say should I allow it to use the full partition I mean I have a 2.4gb partition but windows only uses 2gb. That way I can run Disk Defragment because it has 16% free.

But are you guys saying that window's Disk Defragmenter won't work on the swap file even with the extra space?

dario03 said:

But are you guys saying that window's Disk Defragmenter won't work on the swap file even with the extra space?

I'm pretty sure thats the case

Well I tried running it and it says it defragments it but nothing happens.
So should I just tell windows to use the other ~400mb on the partition? (it would bring it up from 2gb to 2.4gb and I have 1gb of ram)

I was under the impression that one of the purposes that made you moved it to it's own partition so it wouldn't be defragmented. I've read that in a few books and magizines

I took that to mean that you should not defragment it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom