Do I need an Anti-Virus if... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 07-10-2005, 11:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to beedubaya
Default Do I need an Anti-Virus if...

If I install a firewall and an anti-spyware, do I really need an anti-virus? I NEVER see my AV program catch anything, its always my anti-spyware.

Old 07-11-2005, 12:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

It kinda depends on how you use the internet. If you pirate software (which isnt the cool thing to do, kids), then AV is vital. Also, hacker sites and pr0n sites seem to pick up viruses as well.

If you use the internet for browsing, email, and other legal activities that involve popular and professional websites, etc, then, AV probably isnt that necessary.

I would still use one no matter what. Besides, with a computer like yours, you probably wont really notice a difference in performance anyways.

If system resources is your concern, most AV have the option to not have it constantly running as a process, but scans on demand, and updates on demand.

Intel E6750...........PSN: ELBATROP
XFX nForce 650i Ultra
Patriot PC2-6400 8GB (4x2GB)
eVGA 9800GT
36GB WD Raptor
120GB SG
Logitech X-530
Samsung SyncMaster 931c
Samsung SyncMaster 750s
Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Old 07-11-2005, 12:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

well if want to be protected from Viruses then yeh. Spyware only picks up spyware thats it. do you run email on that PC? do other people use email or use that PC? Its a good Idea, if you dont want to buy an AV then use AVG or a free edition. You never know what you might catch. If your Anti Spyware misses on file, that might create a backdoor to your PC, ending up leting viruses in.
I\'m not your Google Butler!
Old 07-11-2005, 03:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I would recommend one, pretty much for that sense of security and "just in-case" factor. Besides, it may not pick up anything now, but if you go without any AV at all, how would you know if it did?
Old 07-11-2005, 03:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to beedubaya

Well, I use Spybot S&D and it monitors every change to the registry and asks me for approval.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

YES YOU DO. In a event of another outbreak such as Sasser, Spybot, Adaware, etc will not protect you.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Field Engineer
Send a message via AIM to SHAWN

I wouldnt remove it. I would keep it installed.
A+, Network + , HP Certified Tech and MCP

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Old 07-11-2005, 10:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

you don't only get it from p2p sites (if your skilled, you won't get any from p2p sites..).. one of the major source of virus i found out is from e-mail.. especially if you have alot of contacts who knows next to nothing about computer.. they are easiest to break in and send e-mail containing virus to all their contacts.. and don't trust hotmail or any other mail scanners, those turn up false positives left right and center.. often i have to make them check 3 times before they admit defeat (one of the reason i switched to gmail)

i believe a firewall is better than AV (though they are both very very important to get espcially on a windows desktop.. on *nix, not that important)..
lisp hacker :D
running: FreeBSD 5.4 - still learning :D
develop with: SBCL + emacs for lisp, Anjuta IDE +gcc for c, SPE for python..
browse with: opera
Old 07-11-2005, 11:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Techie

Yeah keep your AntiVirus. I always pick up like javascript viruses and nasty jar files off the web. My A/V picks them up before they do damage. But yeah keep your A/V.
INTEL i7 930
3x2gb Corsair Dominators
Old 07-11-2005, 12:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

If you use a computer you NEED ALL OF THESE. Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, Firewall as a minimum. I do not suggest you use the free stuff like spybot either. I'd suggest Spysweeper, Zone Alarm Pro, Sygate 2005

<form action=\"\" method=\"get\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"> <input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search TF before you post!\"></form>
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Closed Thread