DLL error

Status
Not open for further replies.

canooten

In Runtime
Can't find a listing for this...even google is not returning anything...

Have a PC in my office that runs a limited user account (so no unauthorized software installations) that was running fine Friday. Was shut down for the weekend and on boot this morning get the following RunDll -

Error Loading C:/Documents and Settings/xxxxxx/Local Settings/Application Data/owudiwoniqivu.dll

The Specified Module Could Not Be Found

Clicking OK just pops it right back up and a new box comes up every few minutes and fills the screen eventually.

No issues when logged in with an admin account.

Hello,

On first look, this file looks malicious. If not already done so, you may want to perform an up to date virus scan and adware/spyware scan on the system, and possibly even posting a HijackThis log on the HijackThis Logs (Analyze) Forum on Tech Forums. These steps are just for precaution.

What programs are set to run at startup? When a new box comes up, does it report exactly the same DLL file each time?

Virus scan log looks clean....using AVG Network and I just checked the log...the only hit on this machine was in a system restore point, but the file was removed.

Will run an Adware scan and post HJT afterwards.

It does report the same message each time...no variations at all.

This machine is set for very basic use. The only program set to run at boot is AVG and standard background processes.

OK, I posted the HJT log and got some recommendations there that seem to have cleared up the DLL issue. Did a spyware and virus scan and got no warnings, but now the computer is acting like the shift key is stuck. I've checked the accessibility options and none of the shortcuts have been enabled (sticky keys etc) and it's not the keyboard itself (I'm working on this machine via Remote Administrator, and I get the same stuck shift behavior when working on the machine remotely).

Anything else that could cause stuck shift behavior?

brought totally up to date yesterday and had a clean AVG scan overnight (could have missed something I'm sure). If there's no other explanation I'll probably just reload the machine....it's been a few years on this one anyway and it would benefit in other ways. Just hoping that if it is a virus it doesn't cling to any of the users files.

will give that a shot.

Also found it interesting that it only behaves like this on one user account. The person that uses this machine daily is on a limited account and this is the one that is acting strange. If I log in on my admin account it's totally fine.

question on the scannow command....seems like I read that if the machine is running SP2 or SP3 the CD you use has to include that SP. All the XP discs I have are SP1. How can I get around that?

will give that a shot.

Also found it interesting that it only behaves like this on one user account. The person that uses this machine daily is on a limited account and this is the one that is acting strange. If I log in on my admin account it's totally fine.

Hmmm.... it could very well be something in his profile then.

Go to the C:/Documents and Settings/%User%/ and clear out the cache folders/application data folders. You'll need to go to Tools > Folder Options > View - and check "show protected OS files and folders" and check "Show hidden files and folders" to see everything.

CCleaner is also very good at clearing out these kinds of problems. It clears out caches as well as can fix the registry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom