Dissapearing Windows Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

KreweMeister

Beta member
I recently upgraded my operating system from Win 2K pro to XP pro. shortly after downloading and installing the required updates, including SP2, my previously working sound cards disappeared from the audio options on the Sounds and Audio devices Properties. The hardware tab list the creative SB Live card as functioning properly and the the Sound Blaster USB external card also working. Curiously, though the the audio options tab list Modem #1 Line as the default and only option for playback and record. I have uninstalled and reinstalled both devices and drivers. I am still unable to produce any sound from the computer and still receive error message " Windows cannot play the sound %SystemRoot%\Media\Window XP Error.wav. Your sound card may be in use." I checked Windows Audio in Admin Tools > Component Services, it is on Automatic and running.

In the device manager, under system devices, I have the yellow exclamation point on the Plug & Play software device enumerator. Properties says "windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (code 31). I tried to update the drivers but the dialog says that these are the most current drivers. I then copied the drives [swenum.sys & streamci.dll]from another computer running the same OS to replace the possibly damaged files. This too, did not solve the problem. I believe this may be an underlying cause to my audio conundrum.

Subsequently, I have attempted to restore my system to the point on the XP upgrade install, including uninstlling SP2.

System Info: Gateway
Mainboard: MicroStar MS-6330
Chipset: VIA KT133
Processer: AMD Athlon @ 1200 MHz
Phys Mem: 1280 MB SDRAM
Video Card: ATI Radeon 7200 QD DDR/SDR
HD 1: Quantum 60 GB
HD 2: Quantum 20 GB
DVD-ROM: Toshiba SD-M1502
CD-ROM: LG CD-RW CED-8120B
Net Card: ADMtek AN983 PCI 10/100
DirectX: v 9.0

Judging from the various Tech forums I have visited, this is not an uncommon occurrence. Although, the various solutions are are have resulted in success for a few. I have tried them all, to no success.

I M Vexed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom