Diskeeper and 27,323 Page Files: Won't Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

thcaven

Beta member
I can't get the boot-time defragmenter to fix the 27,323 Page File Fragments that Diskeeper Found....please help

I have a wicked slow computer. hp pavilion ze4200 AMD 1800+ 1.5MHz CPU running Windows XP Professional with a 30 Gig Hard Drive and 512 RAM.

I use this machine with MicroSoft Office 2003 and have open usually quite a few PowerPoint/Excel/Adobe 7.0 pdfs.

Boot up time is around 3.5-4 minutes and shutdown is around the same. Swithing back and forth between open programs sometimes may take around 30-60 seconds. I may have be too impatient but think that this thing could be running faster

My boss recommended Diskeeper Executive. Loaded it. Said my main problem was too much stuff on my computer and to unload what I could. Reduced my HD from 99% full to 55% full (MP3s ).
Ran Diskeeper again 2x and got the fragment #'s down nicely.

However under "Reliability" it still said "CRITICAL" 27,323 Paging File fragments, and suggested boot-up defrag. Made the recommended backups. Did what was suggested CHKDSK ect and upon boot-up it did its job i guess. Apparently not.

It still says that there are 27,323 fragmented paging files.

Then went to Norton Disk doctor and that said there was 55% disk fragmented and was blinking red. Disabled Diskeeper so Norton could do its job of SpeedDisk. SpeedDisk gave me a nice pattern of a "healthy"-looking HD.

Went back to Diskeeper. Norton made a little mess of things according to Diskeeper for the fragments were a few more now in the data area but no biggie.

Still the 27,323 paging file fragments remain and Diskeeper still warns me about CRITICAL status.

Have I done something wrong with the boot-up?

As an aside my boss says that it works fine for him.

Really appreciate any ideas as to how I can speed up this machine and defrag.

ps have AdAware and Spybot and Norton 2003 System Works so I don't think that I have any bugs...

Thanks
Tim C

follow-up

In the middle of the boot-time defragmentation...after Stage 0 found the files Diskeeper then said that it had to abort bc there was not enough contiguous free space...??

The disc is only ~50% full

Must I find contigous free space for Diskeeper to defrag my paging Files?

also I ran Norton Disc Speed Doctor and it said things were fine. Diskeeper, after Speed Doctor,said things were still heavily fragmented. Are they looking at the same thing?

Follow-up

Someone recommended PageDefrag (freeware). I downloaded it and it did the trick! Page Files now defragmented.Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom