disk defrgmenter problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
There ar programs like O&O, or Ultimate Defrag that will help you with this. The first thing you do need to do is find out what is running in the back ground. You can get a trial version of Tune up Utilities. It will tell you what processes are running and tell you the value of it. Plus it will let you stop them as well.

Defragging in safe mode was to sum out the idea of background processes interfering. If it did work, then you know for sure it was something interfering... Now that we know it still doesnt work by disabling unnessecary processes (when you went into safe-mode) my next GUESS would be corruption of files or the HDD itself.
It would be a good idea to backup important files like forrestcupp suggests.
Try doing a surface scan with any program to look for any problems such as bad sectors.

I assume its the 40gb and it is your C:?

I tried safemode and it still happens, any other ideas?

if this happens in safe mode, then thats a problem. the reason i asked about being able to see the un-movable files is cuz if you don't see any thats a good indication that you have a rootkit. backup and reinstall :)

ECTech said:
if this happens in safe mode, then thats a problem. the reason i asked about being able to see the un-movable files is cuz if you don't see any thats a good indication that you have a rootkit. backup and reinstall :)

This is true, you will be busy for a few hours but the end result will be a new computer. Do a full reinstall dont to a repair.

Its the defrag in vista, it doesn't show the unmovable files or any file for that matter. what is a rootkit?

problem solved I installed AusLogics Disk Defrag and it runs like a charm, its free too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom